Taking a 147 to Australia - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-05-03 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 Cloverleaf

Taking a 147 to Australia

This is one for our Aussie friends:
I'm seriously considering emigrating to Australia, and I'd probably want to bring my new 147 with me because I've only had it for six months. So. . .
What is the difference between a UK 147 and an Aussie one? (souped-up aircon, km/h speedo, etc.?)
How happy are the RTA with personal imports?
Is there anything else I need to consider?
Any advice would be appreciated - JJM
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: -
As a start and maybe to scare you off eek!

Personally I think you would be better off buying one here cost up to 20,000 UK pounds on the road.

Specs here.
http://www.alfaromeo.com.au/default.asp Basically you can have a 2.0l
Manual or Selespeed in 3 or 5 doors. http://www.alfaromeo.com.au/default.asp

"Australian vehicle import regulations

Australia has strict controls for importing vehicles, these laws are basically set up to protect Australian car manufactures. The restrictions basically state that no-one can import a car from overseas if that car is already manufactured here in Australia, (for example Honda bring the Honda Prelude to Australia, so this means no individual person or company can import a Prelude.) The only way to bring one of these restricted vehicles into Australia is to have personally owned the vehicle overseas for not less than three months, this is known as a personal import and is open to anyone for one car per year. You must have proof of ownership of the vehicle and a passport both coinciding with you overseas stay of not less than three months. As you can see this is not possible for most people. There is a lot of red tape involved when importing vehicles, therefore it is always advisable to let someone with the expertise handle the paperwork. For this reason it is very beneficial for an individual to let CARizma handle the work for them.

Taxation and Import duties

Taxation on imported vehicles is 48% based on the customs evaluation of reasonable Japanese market value, (so a car purchased for A$10000.00 in Japan would attract $5500.00 in tax.). This means that if a car worth $10000.00 is purchased for $5000.00 you still pay tax on $10000.00. There are also around $500 worth of other fixed customs duties you have to pay when a car has landed at a port.

Compliance Plates

To register a vehicle in Australia it must have a compliance plate attached. Compliance Plates vary in shape and style from manufacturer to manufacturer all can be recognised because they bear the words "This vehicle was manufactured to comply with the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989". On passenger cars the Compliance Plate is usually on the firewall. A compliance Plate can only be fitted to an imported vehicle by a registered Compliance Plate Approval holder. CARizma is a registered compliance plate approval holder for a number of vehicles and has an excellent relationship with many C.P.A's with plates CARizma do not hold, this ensures the best possible availability and price."

Do your sums and figure out what will be more cost effective for you. The cost of shipment, transfer of rego and any other BS the RTA will put you through may just sway you to sell and buy a new one here. In Australia there is no significant penalty for having a larger engine size as is the case in much of Europe....so if you have a 1.8L.........you can upgrade to a 2 litre.
As far as technical differences go.......I'm not sure that there would be much of a difference really. it still says BENZINA and not XXXX on the fuel indicator!! laughing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , australia , taking