Warning: Get alternator bugfix - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Warning: Get alternator bugfix

Here is a friendly warning to 147 2.0 Selespeed owners out there:
Find out if you need the "Alternator Wiring campaign"("campaign" is a euphimism for a "bugfix") on your model when you visit your dealer again. It can save you a lot of trouble.

My car is a 2001 model and has 65000km on the clock now. I recieved a messaged from my dealer that there was an update to be done on my car. The very next day it dies on me. I was just driving along and all of a sudden all the systems starts to fail. I stopped, switched the car off but when I tried to switch it back on, there was just this wirrr form the alternator. The car had to be towed in for 40km to the dealer the next day and there I was told that the battery was flat. It did not sound to me like a flat battery because it was not the typical symptoms of a flat battery. It sounded more like the starter motor being faulty. Luckily I did not try to jumpstart it from another battery because apparently that would have caused major damage.) I have never really checked the battery levels as there was nothing you can really do on this car to run down the battery. (Everything switches off when the car is off).

However I was told that this bugfix(called the "Alternator Wiring campaign" which apparently consists of a new wiring harnass) was what could have caused this. Apparently it caused the battery not to charge. I had the car now for almost 2 years and the dealer tells me that it is also not abnormal for a battery to run out in a 2 year period. In the end the dealer paid half of the new battery (only after I made a scene about it and because the car was out of action for 3 days).

Does all this sound right? If there is anybody else out there with similar experience I would love to know.
Sponsored Links
I have a Selespeed too and had problems one day. The car would always give a failure message when coming to a stop and the gear box would die. Had the car recovered and the dealer told me this was down to a flat battery - I would if this is related?
Hi Marius

Yup I've had exactly the same problems and had a wire replaced after which it was fine.

There are a couple of previous posts on this topic:

Flat battery on my 147

Hope this helps

Thanks Jon.
That explains to me why it happened just after the easter long weekend.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alternator , bugfix , warning