Technical JTD problem help - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Technical JTD problem help

Got this strange problem and was wondering if anybody has seen this before with a 147 JTD (tuned):

When engin is cold it doesn't seem to pick up any power over 2000 rpm. It feels like the engine doesn't get enough diesel. But when the temerature reaches just below operating temp (90 degrees)power is returned like a switch has been turned over.

Is this just a computer error which can be resolved by resetting (by the way, how do you do this?).

Might it be a bigger problem.

Some advise would be very welcom, thanx
Sponsored Links
AO Member
I just have this when driving for the first minute. She doesn't want to rev as happily as she is used to, but that's probably due to the cold oil. (besides, when she is cold, I don't go any higher then 2500 rpm)
After one minute, everything becomes nice and warm and she drives like normal.

Don't know if this is the same you're having?
What you describe is normal operations, which i have seen now for the last 35.000 km's. This is definetly something new. I can't even go on the highway before it is heated up. Because i can't get the thing above 60 km/h. Very frustrating.

I want to try to reset the computer. But am not sure if disconnecting the batery would have more effects then just resetting the comp.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Edna Mode!

I once had this strange experience. Pulling out in 1st gear, pressing the throttle and NOTHING eek! It was like the turbo didn't kick in and the speedometer didn't want to go higher. I was driving slow at that point and thought my car had run out of fuel or something. Then I put it in 1st gear again and pressed the throttle and my Bella was back. My experience was what I can think of due to lack of turbo pressure. However, it stayed with that one and only experience and I hope that won't change.

I'm not sure if you can recognize my experience in your experience, if you know what I mean.

I don't need no one to tell me about heaven, I look at my son and daughter and I believe.

Quote of the month: "Extremist ideas bring NON-tolerance as a result, because people having their face stuck up so deep in their Ar5e that they can't smell nor are interested in other's 5hit!"
AO Member
The last time I mentioned this lack of power in the morning at my garage they promptly put in a new turbo...
My advice is to go to your garage and have them check it out.

This was after 40k.
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.9 JTD 16V

Schuit, who tuned your bella?
It sounds to me like an error in the program.
Especially now it shows up after 35K driven.
Temperature, turbo kicking in (which is kindo interfaced to the ecu)...
Spooky men, better be carefull.
My G/F got an accident when the Cruise Control (which is controlled by the car's comp)didn't respond any more

Take care
Before when i drove my Delta HF Turbo i had that always . When starting the engine cold , the car didn't like it . Then when driving away , carefull not stopping the engine , i felt it really holding in , like yes the turbo don't want to work . I could push it furter but i felt that that's not good for the engine . After 2 or 3 minutes , when warming a little bit , it was gone and it drove perfect . I liked it because it told me to drive the engine smooth when cold . I don't know if it's the same , on my 147 JTD ( not tuned ) i don't have it ( which i think is not good for engines sake ).
AO Gold Member

I advise you get back to your tuner to redo the Dynojetrun. I think you get TOO MUCH diesel ...

But hey, then it smokes better, doesn't it laughing

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

jtd , problem , technical