life span on 156? now 100k miles - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Merthyr Tydfil
mine has just done 130000 and still loving it.
cambelt, waterpump and variator change on monday and then peace for a while i hope lol
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Merseyside
Just keep looking after it like it sounds like you are and it'll go for ages yet. Alfas generally are fine as long as they are cared for and the little foibles kept on top of.
AO Member
County: Cumbria

Member car:

147 2.0 l Lusso

I sold my 2.0l 156 at 186,000 miles and still on the original clutch. The essential is to do regular oil and filter changes. Mine was done every 6000 miles throughout its life. And get the cambelts done every 32,000.
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

156 Veloce

Originally Posted by PaulieS View Post
If it's a V6 then the feature article in Auto Italia says that with correct servicing there is no reason it shouldn't see 250k miles....
That's why it say's on the little bit that says 'Member's Car' that it's a 1.6ts veloce. Doh!

But seriously folks my twin spark was in at Alfa Technico for three days a couple of months ago and I got lent the infamous 156 courtesy car. Okay in all fairness it was a shed and it stunk to high heaven and nothing worked on it and it had some very dubious stains on the upholstery and Macdonalds wrappers on the back seat, but it had 140k on the clock and the thing was a freaking rocket ship and it handled like it was on rails with no bumps, knocks, creaks or wierd noises. I hope mine lives that long, it's only on 63k.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset
My 156 V6 is on 167K miles, but you would never realise it when driving it. Still a very quick car and handles well.
My 2.5 V6 Q-system is on 112,000 and apart from some new injectors is going strong. I see absolutely no reason to change it. love it
County: Midlands

Member car:

mines done 137k and still going strong loving it
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Good thread revival......

Depends how badly its expired, what you want to do, and how much of the work you can do yourself.....a really full rebuild could easily exceed 1k - likely to be more than the value of the car......

Or you can pick up a second-hand engine for about 300 - 400, spend another 150 - 200 on new belts, tensioners etc, maintain it properly and get another 100K out of it...
The big question is whether that 205k JTD is still running and, if so, do you want to swap it for a slightly broken twinny?
AO Gold Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

They last as long as you keep running them. My suspicion about not hearing about alfas running as long as other marques is that because they're so cheap, once anything needs doing that costs over a hundred odd quid it's seen as a reason to scrap it.

Also, because they're cheaper than other cars, they're not always bought by people who can afford to maintain them.
AO Silver Member
County: Hampshire
What do we expect for the JTS?
AO Gold Member
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
The big question is whether that 205k JTD is still running and, if so, do you want to swap it for a slightly broken twinny?

No, the JTD wagon was broken at 215K when the auxuiliary belt tensioner mounting bolt sheared...the bodywork was dinged on virtually every panel so I didn't think it worth pulling and replacing the engine ti fix it....

But I'm picking up a 99 JTD saloon tomorrow that has been stood a couple of years since the owner passed away - apart from the alternator seized and a small patch of welding under the front floor I think that may live again - give me a shout if you are interested....but why haven't you swapped that fuel pump yet?

Oh and back on topic - milady's 1.6 Sportwagon will hit 160K miles in the next week....front suspension clonks and groans, but what the heck!

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......

Last edited by rgwm; 03-09-11 at 14:26. Reason: forgot the thread question....
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
My 2.0 TS turned 160,000 last Wednesday ... but then it has had an engine rebuild at 73K (cambelt tensioner seized) and earlier this year the gear selector failed resulting in a 2nd hand box and new clutch assembly.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

100k , 156 , life , miles , span