still not sorted !! HELP !!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
still not sorted !! HELP !!!!

Lots of you have probably already read loads about my brakes but still the saga goes on. I wont go into it but I uprated my brakes - had some serious issues with them - ****ed around for months trying to sort it - now running OEM setup again but the brakes are still squeeking!! (the squeeking isnt why I changed them back mind) but this squeek isnt the normal brake squeek - it hurts your ears, it is only coming from the front left, the best way to describe it is like dragging your nails down a blackboard, but a metal version!!! Can you please give me some ideas as to what could cause this kind of a prob, I have changed the obvious (pads) but no joy - could it be the caliper or any other part of the brake system - if it helps it only happens at slowish speeds (even after slowing down from 90) - help appreciated, I dont want to take it to alfa and get ripped off. Thanks. Steve
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Wiltshire

Member car:

Bikes these days

You could try taking the pads out of the offending caliper, smearing a little high temp grease onto the back of the pad (the metal bit, not the friction material obviously ) then refitting. I believe that the squeeling is due to some sort of reasonance - a new disc/pad combination has flats is different areas. Takes a while to bed in naturally, so the grease solves the squeeling until then. Works on my bikes, though never had the problem on a car.

Hope that this helps,

When I fitted a smeared high temp copper grease on - doesnt seem to have helped - do you think there is a prob with perhaps the caliper that is causing the strange noise?
AO Gold Member
It is in the pads, I have the same, but I knew it beforehand, used the pads of a Coupe Fiat (new) that came of the Fiat because the owner complained about the squeaking.
They brake excellent and I take the squeaks (only at low speeds and gentil braking) because I got the pads for free !
Once noticed a F40 Ferrari did the dame noise whilst braking, so I am in good company ! wink
Not sure if this is right.

1st set of pads - OEM Ferodo - FINE
2nd set of pads - EBC Greenstuff - Noise developed
3rd set of pads - Lockheed - Noise still there
4th set of pads - OEM Ferodo (again) Noise still there.

It must surley be something other than the pads ??????????? any more ideas ?
its the calipers! i had exactly the same problem in my 156 1.8TS. they started squeaking when the first set of oem pads got low. i decided to replace them with green stuff pads cos the the original ones were ****. they squeaked form the start. then i changed the discs and pads to tarox ones. they also squeaked! i took it to a back street garage where the bloke traced the the problem to a warped passenger side caliper! he recommended upgrading the calipers to those from a 2.0TS and also changing the disc/pads as well.this is cos the original setup has solid not vented discs! unbeileveable on a car with this sort of performance and the fact thay toyota yaris have them!i managed to get a set of 2.0TS calipers from the scrappie for 40 (new about 400)and got a set of green stuff pads and grooved discs.also fitted braided brake hoses and uprated the fluid to dot5. i also used bendix anti squeal grease instead of the usual copper grease.what a difference! it really does stop now and without squeaking or fading. i`ve had no problems for 2 years but i think one of the discs is slightly warped now. i`m gonna go for the same discs but with the red stuff pads this time.
AO Silver Member
It is common for the pistons in the calipers to get 'sticky'

What's usually happens is the piston slightly sticks.. very slightly. The pads then lightly touch the disc and create a small glaze. when you slow down to a crawl, you can hear the squeakin sommit rotten.. speed up no problem. Sound familiar?

It's a very common problem for the alfa 145's, 146's, 155's and 156's

Use a brake calliper windback tool (Sykes and Pickavant - 20 quid from halrauds)
Just pump the piston most of the way out (using the brake pedal), then use the windback tool to push the piston all the way back in. Repeat about 5 times. Pump the piston out again, then lift the rubber boot for the piston and put a tiny bit of brake fliud in there. Wind back in. Pump out and wind in a load more times (5 should be ok) This should free up the piston lovely!
You'll definately notice a differance between easieness of windin the the piston back in from the first time you do it to the 4th,5th etc time you do it.

It'd be agood idea to do this once every 12-18months to every caliper... just to make sure everything is happy. Keeps the brakes working lovely also helps to stop the rear handbrake mechanism from seizing up. (caliper end of things)

try this b4 you swap out the calipers.

"Consider a high performance engine - it works fine with loads of fuel going through it, but when it is idling it coughs, farts and splutters.

Jason's stomach is obviously high performance judging by the coughs, farts and splutters when he is not eating."
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Does the 156 have anti rattle shims behind the pads?? Just a thin looking bit of crap metal, but they make a big difference if you leave them out on other cars!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT