159 Ti JtD issues - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 22-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

159 Ti

Idea 159 Ti JtD issues

Just taken this vehical from soemone who left company. 3 months old, 8k miles. Its got P zero neros on it. Inside edges totally worn out, outsides are fine. Normal? Harder tyre compound better?

Also the fuel consumption is not good, only averaging 35mpg even on motorway. Would expect 45 minimum.

Also on spec it states that Ti should have interior mirror and light on drivers visor which is doesn't, also there is no internal boot release switch on the overhead panel

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Re: 159 Ti JtD issues

Think the appetite for rubber and the not that impressive fuel economy is a general issue with the 159.

Not sure about the other bits though
AO Member
County: -

I would have the tracking looked at and check the tyre pressures it does seem to be a problem with the 159 though ref eating tyres the same thing used to happen with the 156 in 99 alfa did a recall to realign the tracking this cured the problem also under inflated tyres can cause high fuel consumption

County: Wiltshire

You should try in the 159 lounge,

But the tyre wear is down to (as I have found) underated springs on the front, allowing the nose to sag and so increase the natural -camber of the front wheels, the car was initially developed with a TS engine sat in it and as this is a lighter engine the shocks and springs were able to support it properly, as the car went to market the the heavier 1.9 and 2.4 JTDm and 2.2 and 3.2 JTS engines were fitted with no upgrading of the suspension, the only real solution is to fit uprated shocks and springs and again Konis FSD shocks and Eibach Pro springs are perfectly matched for your car £640 for both.

As for the speclevel, there was a change in the Ti spec in early 2008 when a lot of things droped off the list, if you have one of the later models then you will not have everything.
AO Platinum Member
County: Greater Manchester

The original limited run Ti had a higher spec, e.g. included electrically powered seats.

Its success prompted the mainstream model to be reintroduced. Mine is late 08 and doesn't have the driver's visor light/mirror.

I always use the key fob remote to open the boot.

Tracking issues - covered above and in the 159 lounge. Avoidable but it is not unusual.

Economy does seem slightly down but it depends on your right foot. I can average 46mpg but tend to just get about 40mpg overall because I spend hours in heavy traffic most days. I just marvelled at the last 68 miles since filling up. They took 5 hours! No wonder this tank is barely giving me 32!

Anyway, I hope you grow to love your Alfa and welcome.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

159 , issues , jtd