Really need help with this one please
My second hand Alfa GT went in for its 3rd service today and I'm now facing a bill of £1500+ for new turbo, EGR value and induction hoses
The car is out of warranty and the turbo is not covered by the extended warranty provided by the dealer (not an AR dealer). I guess its buyer beware but I want to make sure this can't be fixed before I fork out for a new turbo
The position is as follows:
- The turbo has whinned since I bought it but not having owned a turbo diesel before I assumed that's what they did
- Two days ago the car lost all power at a junction 2 minutes after start up on a cold morning. No response to accelerator pedal and engine idled at 1000 revs. I parked and gradually was able to get revs up to 4000 as engine heated up. Throughout journey to work the car lacked power at below 3000 revs but turbo kicked in well above 3000 revs
- today the AR dealer tells me that some seals inside the turbo unit are leaking and oil is dripping back down into the intercooler unit. In addition it seems there is a small hold in the induction pipe which feeds the turbo. They have turned off the EGR value as its apparently not working properly. They have quoted £1030 including parts and labour to fit a complete new turbo unit, induction hose and EGR value (the dealer tested the MAF unit and its working fine)
I have a couple of questions that someone may be able to help with:
1. Do the symptoms above justify a complete replacement of the turbo unit or could it be repaired?
2. If it needs to be replaced how does a quote of £1000 sound - is this reasonable?
3. Is it safe to continue to run the turbo with such an oil leak (ie. top up oil and clean intercooler every few months) - will it continue to operate for say next 6 months on a reasonable basis?
4. Is it safe to leave EGR turned off for any length of time or will this cause more problems unless replaced soon?
Basically just need some sensible advice please. This is my first Alfa and I've only had it 2 months!! I love it but can't afford regular repair bills of this kind
Many thanks everyone
PS - apparently the clutch is on the way out and the front suspension arms and bushes need replaced too! Another £1000 I guess......