Looking to buy used 156 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Looking to buy used 156

I'm looking to buy a 156 1998 model is there anything that i should look out for regarding the condition
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

1998 156 1.6ts

variator and suspension system are important. the cam belt should have been changed, or it will cost a lot. the spark plugs are changed every 100oookm's, and they also cost a lot.
are those a common problem with 156's and how much would they cost to repair
The variator will cost about 600 to fit (inc parts), this includes changing the cam belt and tensioners.
However, if the cam belt hasn't been changed the overall costs will be reduced because you wouldn't need to do this work at the 6 year service. Some guys have got this work done for about 300-400, it really depends on you location and whether you use a independent dealer.
Dantelk,i bought mine for its looks, style, and interior, and at the time i knew of alfa general history, but not any car in particular.i have had my bella 6 months, and apart from that variator problem, yep 660 + 180 service, i have been more than happy. Even still clean her every week. just be prepared for big bucks if probs do arise. eek! You wont be sorry though. wink
AO Gold Member
the 2.0 TS is practically indestructable, but you need to feed her the best oil and let her warm up before putting the pedal to the metal.
Check oil often, I've seen 156's destroyed by former Opel drivers who never checked the oil level, they think they can burn over german autobahns wit 200 + without using oil. They never drove that fast with their Opels !!!

Cambelt and tensioner should be replaced at 50.000 km....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buy