Gear lever is rattling - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Gear lever is rattling

I have a problem with my beautiful Alfa 156 2,0 TS, 1998. From 4000 to 5000 rpm the gear lever is making a annoying rattle-sound. The noise stops when you touch the gear-knob. Anybody ever had the same problem and how did you fix it ?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Yes & No.
Yes, had the rattlings sound on my Q-system gear knob because the 'locking ring' for reverse was lose/no lubrication. Just pulled up the gear knob, spray some silicon or lithium grease into the gear stick shalf and walla, the noise went away, with a benefit of a much, much smoother shifting action.
No, mine is not a manual. But I suppose you could try removing the gear boot and greasing the linkages if the rattle is from there.
Thanks a lot, but I have already tried this - and it didn't help . My garage suggest that I'll replace the gear lever with the gear knob and everything. I'm a little afraid that the resonance comes from the gearbox itself and the sound is just transferred to the gear lever...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gear , lever , rattling