Garaging car for 12 months - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 12-01-09 Thread Starter
Garaging car for 12 months

I am going to work in Australia for a year and was planning to put my 147 in the garage while I'm away.

I could use some general advice on how to minimise it's deterioration during that time, and was specifically wondering about disconnecting the battery and the effect this would have on the radio and alarm / immobiliser (I presume the radio is coded.)

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester
Re: Garaging car for 12 months

Obvious ones that spring to mind:-

Personally I wouldn't remove the battery but attach a battery conditioner to it.
Good idea to cover the car to protect it from dust/ damage
Either support the car on axle stands or pump up the tyres to the maximum safe pressure possible to avoid 'flat-spotting' the tyres. If you leave the car on the ground choc the wheels and leave the hanbrake off to avoid it seizing on.

I'm sure there are other things you can or should do but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Alternatively sell it (if you can) as a replacement should be cheaper when you get back!
AO Silver Member
County: Greater London

If you do deside to keep the car Id strongly recommend someone starting the car once a week and moving the car at least once a month to avoid parts getting damaged by not using.

But unless its something extra special or highly mod'd I agree with selling the car and replacing when you return
AO Silver Member
County: -

Member car:

GT ss/Cav mk1

Also,if you are not planning to start the car at all,do not remove the water from the radiator/car.

You could donate it to me for a year. As an upstanding model citizen I'm sure the girlfriend would love to waft about in an Alfa of her own

The way the market is going over the next 12 months you'd be better flogging it, earning interest in the bank instead of losing depreciation and buying something when you get back.
AO Member
County: Sligo

Member car:

156 V6, GTV V6

I looked into this before, remember reading somewhere that you'd need to change the oil after storage, as it will absorb water over time.. Axle stands sound like a good idea to protect tyres + suspension.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

car , garaging , months