Re: 147 Rear Screen Washer....Help....
Well I fixed it, took a while!
Yes indeed the rear cover is stressful to get off as it is stuck firm, but the plugs go give so its a case of careful but firmly.
The water as before was just seeping out the bottm of the boot lid as the pipe had come loose.
First I unscrewed the four screws, then using fingers went along the edge of the panel facing, pulling apart the plastic from the metal lid.
Then the two further toward the window on either side. I used a big screwdriver wrapped in a towel to prevent graunching on the metal.
These proved more stubborn than the others due to leverage.
Once these were off the two remaining inside came away ok.
Right well the tube clicked in quite firmly, I wondered if perhaps it had come away due to water freezing at some stage and the pressure pushing the tube off. Though in winter my washer mix is not very diluted and quite a bright green.
Where the tube clicks in I decided to give it a clean up there with some wet tissue, then a cotton bud.
I was amazed at the amount of crud that came out! Maybe this was due to pressure forcing the tube off?!
Anyway I decided to put some super glue up there (just a little around the top then around the lip- not getting any onto the rubber seal- (by the way, the tube onto the angled plastic tube was quite secure,
it was where this fitted onto the motor unit.
So after lunch I trid it, and to my dismay the parts where the jets are was moving also!
It used to move a bit, but now it moved with the wiper.
This may not sound bad, and I did question if it was meant to, but then I discovered that inside the tube moved also and caught on the letal lid inside, and instead of popping off like it obviously must've before, it was glued stuck and so scored itself on the metal, nearly cutting it off!
So I took apart the thing.
I unscrewed the wiper, then took the motor unit off.
Then the section where the jets are comes off- very stiff. Before that though is a washer and a C-clip. It was rusty so not easy to spot. came off reasonably well though.
There is now a plastic sleeve that covers the metal shaft.
This moved with the shaft and quite frimly. Its not meant to. It holds the jet attachment still.
Operating the motor, the sleeve moved, but had a crack in it where there is a peg that is meant to stop the sleeve moving, that goes into a groove on the motor unit.
I tried to prize it off and wondered if it should move with it, but eventually, after a lot of wd40 and splitting the crack open more (I wasn't meant to!!)
it came off using a mole wrench I think.
The metal shaft had rusted so much it had bonded itself to the plastic sleeve.
After a lot of cleaning and de-rusting the shaft, and glueing the plastic cover, I greasedthe shaft a lot with copper grease, then re-assembled it. It now works fine and the tube stays put, not moving at all.
I nearl broke that sleeve, but persistence meant it came off. It was a worry though as I'm not sure how many parts you can buy that unit in- I didnt want to have to buy a new wiper motor for the sake of a plastic sleeve!
Ah well there is enough grease on there now so it should be ok for another 8 years!