Auxilary Belt on the way out!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Auxilary Belt on the way out!!!

Tis frying a lot - so only a matter of time. But work is making it VERY difficult to get the time off to change it for a couple of weeks.

If it goes, whats the worst that will happen?

Also - can you ( easily ) change it yourself - if so how?

2.4 156 JTD 2001 10 valve engine
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Staffordshire
Re: Auxilary Belt on the way out!!!

just done this job today myself....

the worst thing that can happen, which it did to me aswell, was the belt can snap making the steering SUPER heavy, and i mean heavy, ive had my landrover discovery stuck in mud upto the bonnet and the steering wasnt as heavy as it was on my JTD..... also the battery will go dead after about 15miles as the alternator wont be spinning to charge the battery... common rail diesels need more than just diesel to run, they also need a thing called electricity .. not like the good old diesels, which just needed air and fuel to run....

the job isnt super hard to do, just like anyother aux belt on any car i suspose.... only problems i had was, trying to poke the belt over the wheels at the back of the engine, my hands just werent small enough to do it by hand, plus i undid 3 of the bolts that hold on the idlers and pulleys, just to make the belt abit slacker to pop it on, one puley is a 17mm, another is 15mm and the top one is 13mm....... i also found out that its easyer to take the top pulley completely out (13mm) as the belt is the straightest and the longest at that point, so its abit easyer to slip on, and then you can push the belt down to put the top puley back in....

hope that made sense to you and does help you along with the job

if in dought. MAF it out
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Auxilary Belt on the way out!!!

The very worst thing that can happen is that the auxillary belt can snap or fray and wind its way under the cambelt cover and cause the cambelt to slip.

If it needs doing I would do it sooner rather than later.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

auxilary , belt