Ouch! Sudden 156 V6 gearbox failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Ouch! Sudden 156 V6 gearbox failure

My gearbox has just self destructed! It's got a big hole in the casing and broken bits of gears rattling around. My local garage believes the diff bearings collapsed and some remnants have caught in the diff gearing causing the broken gears to smash their way out of the casing!

Has anyone seen a problem with diff bearings before? I thought they'd outlast just about every other bit of the drive system. Did I mention it's only done 50K miles?

The only warning I had was a knock and a jump with the steering on full lock the day before - I assumed track rod failure etc but everything looked fine...then next journey, turning off an island, a bit of a crunch and all the gearbox oil was on the floor.

I'd love to know if this is a known flaw so I can moan to Alfa, thanks
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

As a V6er, I feel your pain, and really hope that everything turns out ok for you.

Did you really have no warning besides what you posted??

Did the gears cruch or anything during the time you've had the car? I'm asking because my gearbox is kind of finicky, and I must change gears very carefully and almost a little slowly, in order to avoid any "crunching".

Best wishes,

AO Member
To ramsey Wow bummer dude.My v6 has over 80k and no problem on trans.This is not a known defect on the 156.There have never been any previous posts on this anywhere.I have looked in every forum worldwide>Definately a breakdown in some component.Would like to hear what happened when you find out.Depending on cost new,i would look at junk yards for a complete tranny.This sounds expensive.Sorry. Vince

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , failure , gearbox , ouch , sudden