Driving a selespeed correctly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 08-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

Ford Focus

Driving a selespeed correctly

Are selespeed faults random? Or are there some tips for keeping it all together?

Is it better to whack it in auto for most activities and break (er, wrong word) out the stick shift/paddle for occasional fun times?

I remember reading somewhere that from starting it up, you should always put the brakes on before engaging first from neutral?

I've had one before and before I crashed it, it was becoming temperamental. Any other tips?
what's all this about the sele oil, how should I deal with that?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.0jts

Re: Driving a selespeed correctly

Generally the selespeed is a pretty reliable system but does need calibrating now and again to allow for wear in components (especially the clutch plate). If gear changes are a bit hit or miss, jerky when setting off etc then time to get it checked. End-of-line calibration, clutch voltage and clutch degradation index are the three most important parameters to get checked/reset. The most common faults I come across are pump relay/terminals, pump motor seizes, occasional clutch disc sensor or clutch unit itself. Oil leaks from the actuator now and again.
You always have to press the brake when selecting a gear from neutral- safety feature.
Using the flappy paddles/stick or auto make no difference to how the system operates and one won't damage the system any more or less than another.

Only two things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the former.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Re: Driving a selespeed correctly

I hated the City mode and never used it - I just used the buttons on the steering wheel.

I dont think you can change from neutral to first without your foot on the brake, isnt it a safety feature so you dont knock it into gear by mistake?

Nothing much to the Selespeed oil except to check the level with the ignition on but engine not started.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

correctly , driving , selespeed