Slipping clutch - GT Q2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

Slipping clutch - GT Q2

Driving home tonight, just entered the dual carriageway, accelerating in 5th....seemed a little sluggish then noticed revs rising through 3800rpm before falling back. Felt just like my old Audi tiptronic in auto mode! Concerned I tried again to accelerate with the same symptoms. There's no doubt in my mind that I have a case of clutch slippage.

The question: is it a burnt out clutch, or can the clutch be adjusted?

The car is a few months shy of 2 years old, has done 30k miles and at the 24k service had a P-box fitted. I rarely floor the accelerator, preferring to gradually feed in the power so am somewhat surprised to be suffering from clutch slippage so soon.

Has anyone else any expereince of similar early clutch slippage and has anyone any suggestions.

Many thanks and a Happy New year to all.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

Re: Slipping clutch - GT Q2

If it is chipped (P-Box) then you are going to be putting a lot more torque through the box and clutch than it was designed for, so it isn't a major surprise (to me) that your clutch is slipping. Unfortunately, the clutch is self adjusting, so once it starts slipping, there is no more adjustment to be made
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 06-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Q2

Re: Slipping clutch - GT Q2

Thanks filipharvey. The key thing here is driving style....sure if you use heavy acceleration all the time, don't change down etc. then you'll be putting a lot of torque through the clutch and gear box. I didn't feel I was doing this but there again maybe I was!

To compare, I had a chipped Golf TDi and did nearly 270k miles in it without a single clutch change. Our other car is a Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi and that has done 180k without a clutch change. 30k on the GT clutch, driven almost entirely under traffic free conditions with mild acceleration etc, P-box or not, seems to be verging on the low side.

The next question then is can anyone recommend a good independent and is there the possibility of fitting an uprated clutch.

By the way we are virtually neighbours!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

clutch , slipping