Alfa GT 2.0 Selespeed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 06-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member
Alfa GT 2.0 Selespeed

Hi all,

I have not been on here a while as I have not owned an Alfa for a couple of years now. The last one I had was a GT 3.2 which was riddled with so many problems I had to trade it in. Unfortunately due to a knee problem i now own an incredibly dull automatic Golf.

I still have many fond memories of my old Alfa (when it worked!) and i am seriously thinking about a GT again but this time with selespeed transmission. I do know these have a bad reputation (a chap at work had a terrible problems with his) but what is the general view of the selespeed transmision on the Alfa's and are they worth the bother? Also can you just run the car in 'normal' auto mode without engaging the selespeed transmission?

Any opinions good or bad would be appreaciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

None yet

Re: Alfa GT 2.0 Selespeed

I've got a 147 Selespeed and yes, they can be problematic (and expensive) when the Selespeed components break down. It's an extra layer of machinery on top of the usual manual gearbox as a computer takes care of the declutching and shifting. Mine's still new so I haven't run into issues of the accumulator or actuator breaking down.

You can run the car in "City" mode which approximates a slightly jerky automatic gearbox. I usually run it like that when I'm dawdling about in town. On twisty roads, just a tap of the paddles to change into manual mode and I'm off like a scalded cat It's a load of fun for the track too.

All in all, it's a tradeoff between reliability and fun.
AO Gold Member

Most Selespeed problems in the end stem from completely other sources (there is a Selespeed problem on this forum caused by lack of Petrol !) but one has to admit that there is extra electronics and hydraulics added to a manual system, and thus more chance on problems.
I have a (now) 10 year old selespeed 156 and the only problem I had was a broken clutch release bearing (which can happen in any manual car) and I love the damn thing to pieces...
once you are solo on selespeed it is shear fun ! and due to the 'bad' reputation you can buy them for almost nothing !
A friend of mine bought a 156 sele last month for 1600 euro ! a 2003
car with 100k on the meter. Runs like a dream !!!

so go for it ! get it checked with Examiner and put in a new clutch kit , check the sele oil regularly and you have a great car !

Rarebear 'fastest piston engine airplane in the world' 4000 hp twinspark (!) radial engine.
Thta's what we call an ENGINE>>>>
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire

I think most selespeed faults are caused by simple things like a bad connection or running low on oil.

The only issues ive had is a sooted out relay (which i replaced myself) and the selespeed acting unusual for 2 weeks after it was removed and refitted for an engine rebuild.

I dont think i would ever have a manual again. I'm sold just for the instant kickdown, especially going from 30 to 50.

Just come back from the Lake district and throwing it around those roads with my hands safely on the steering wheel was brilliant.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 08-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Guys, much appreciated - i have a lot to think about. I must be mad as previous Alfa's I have owned were terrible but I still love them as they are a hoot!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , selespeed