Brake squeel - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Brake squeel

Hi guys,

I have just fitted grooved discs and ebc greenstuff pads to my 156 - the brakes are brilliant, and they are not even bedded in, I have only done 35 miles on them. The only problem is they are squeeling - really badly!!! It is worse than when your teacher used to drag her nails down the blackboard to get your attention !!! When I fitted them a put copper grease on the backs of the pads to try and stop this from happening - could this be just because they are new and need bedding i for quite some time - the greenstuff pads are very abbrasive !! Please advise or give me your comments !!

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
i think its quite normal with new discs/pads. a friend of mine fit new discs and pads on his es**rt last month (EBC i think) and they too made scratching noises at first. but they're ok now, as far as i know!

i think it nly happens until you "face" the disc. then it's ok.
Anne P
I had exactly this problem on my 33 after new pads were fitted. It only did it at low speed and after having them checked over loads of times and having copper greased the backs, it resolved the problem for about a month. It should stop eventually but the mechanic that had a look at them the last time I had them checked said the only option if it continued was to change the pads again. Ouch!!
have you just greased the backs or have you done the bits at each end that slide in the calliper as well? Also did you clean the calliper contact surfaces and the piston head? It all has to be smooth or you can get sticking. The sliding bushes need copper greasing as well.

Apologies if you've already done it!

If not then that should stop it. If so then I'd just wait until they're bedded and see how they go....

just as an afterthought - I managed to accidentally bend the dust shields so that they were running on the discs the other day. It squeals and howls at you very noisily......................

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , squeel