Can a 147 handle a bumpy Gravel road. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 23-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: -
Can a 147 handle a bumpy Gravel road.

My 147 has never been of the Bitumen (sealed) road so far, but has handled the rough Australian roads well enough.
Today , whilst travelling along a sealed road I moved to the left of a right turning car and onto the rough gravel edge of the road. Speed was less than 40 kph, but the car felt it was going to self destruct at any moment.
Even the system check (warning) lights in the dash flickered and one stayed on until I switched off the engine .

I am totally surprised, as this is the softest suspensioned car I have driven since 1979.
My initial impression is that there is something seriously wrong with thew way a 147 is set up.
I am definitely worried about taking this car on a corrugated dirt/gravel road after this.
eek! frown

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Australian Capital Territory

Member car:

RS Clio 197

I find the 147 no better or worse than any other small hatch I've owned. Having said that I don't take my cars on dirt, I don't think low profile performance tyres should be run on rough dirt roads. In fact, if I come across a dirt road, its time to stop and turn around, or hitch a ride with someone else.
But bottom line, the 147 is not designed for dirt roads, and I have too much mechanical sympathy to do it.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 23-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: -
I agree that best not to go on dirt/gravel roads.
The problem is that sometimes you do not have the choice
I was surprised that given the suspension is realively "soft" on the 147, it was so rough in these cicumstances.
AO Gold Member
considering most of malta's road are very very bad, i think its pretty fair to say that the 147 isn't at all bad in handling rough roads.

some other cars may be better in the ride (because of narrower tires, softer suspension, etc) but most new cars have somewhat harder suspension so i think it's pretty normal for it to "jolt" on serious bumps, but i've never felt it "self destruct" thats for sure wink

maybe there's something wrong with your car?
mr hanky
Well I've had mine on some terrible dirt roads and it coped pretty well - the main reason I try to avoid them is because it makes those squeaks and rattles more likely. The worst road I've had it one was the one into Pt Perpendicular at Jervis Bay - slippery, bumpy mud with some huge potholes, more a 4wd sort of thing. The VDC and ASR were on basically the whole time, but the 147 did fine. Wouldn't do it again though!
Paul Dawson

I don't think I could bring myself to drive my bella on a dirt road. I would just turn around and come back in all circumstances. I had the old Nissan 200sx turbo which I took on a dirt road, lost the exhaust pipe (HUGE HOLE!) the once and then two tires the next time ..on the same road!! But this road was more like a mountain.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , bumpy , gravel , handle , road