80% Selespeeds in Australia - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 20-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: -
80% Selespeeds in Australia

On reading this fact on 156 JTS http://www.italiancar.com.au/pilot/feature002.htm
I am imformed that 80% are sold as Selespeeds in Australia.
I suspect that it is because they are effectively "automatic" and if an automatic gearbox was available it too would be the dominant gearbox configuration sold. frown
Sponsored Links
Paul Dawson
If you have a selespeed does it have a display to tell you what gear your in? I'd forget otherwize.

Even so I don't think I'd get a selespeed. I love a good gearbox and being in total control of the gears, not having some gadget do it for me.

Strokes for folks I guess.

Apparenly the 147 selespeed gearbox is quite slow?
AO Member
Hi Stori,
I could quite believe the figure of 80% sales as selespeed in Australia. The 147 and 156 are the two best selling models by an enormous margin and the majority sold are Selespeeds.

The sales of the "conventional" auto 156V6 and 166 are minimal by comparison. This is nothing new, in 2000 over 50% of all Alfas sold in Australia were Selespeeds and this was well before the introduction of the 147.

Certainly Australia is one of the largest markets for Selespeed, possibly assisted by the lack of a tax penalty on the "largest"!! 4 cylinder engine option?

Although I have always driven and owned manual gearbox cars and would never consider owning a conventional automatic- Selespeed has definately converted me now, especially in the JTS. I wouldn't consider going back to a manual 156 again.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

80% , australia , selespeeds