Alfa 156 2.0 twinspark - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 28-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

156 TS

Alfa 156 2.0 twinspark

My 156 went in a local garage with a slight whirring noise.
I just told him to fix it.....No problems I though.

How wrong could I be????

I got the car back with a new power steering pump, the owner said "its still got a slight Alfa noise" I said dont bull**** a bull****er and gave the car back.
The Alternater was changed and hey presto...Jobs a good un!! although it wasnt!!
1 week later, The Undertray fell off, so upset that the quality of workmanship i drove it back and had them repair it . I mentioned the noise coming back and vibrations now above 4000 rpm.
This wasnt acted apon and 1 week later i dropped off the car telling them to sort it out.
I got the car back running well, the alternater had gone again (Warranty job) and the vibration was caused by the balancer belt shredding and ripping off the pulley! So it had a new cambelt and balancer belt aswell as a new pulley fitted.

I got the car back...drove 20 miles and burning smell and a noise from the air con pump. It was so hot the Nylock melted on the end.
Ive just changed the air con pump myself (40 secondhand, now just needs gas) and its running lovely,

Anyone else had this much bad luck???
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands
Re: Alfa 156 2.0 twinspark

thats the joys of owning an alfa
AO Gold Member
County: Down in the Park

probably the aircon pump all along...
AO Gold Member

You took an Alfa into a non-Alfa garage with an undiagnosed fault and told them to "just fix it".....

You're obviously an optimist by nature

I'd have said you have been unlucky, though - alternators rarely fail - just as well considering what a pain they are to change - so for two to fail they must have fitted a dodgy recon...

Balance shaft belts shouldn't give trouble if changed on schedule (36K miles, with the cambelt - and all tensioners) - but in a way you were lucky that the belt didn't take out the cambelt too - that would have been expensive....

Undertrays get wiped off easily, but if it fell off then they probably hadn't fitted it properly - no fault of the car, just bad garage workmanship.

Aircon pump failure? It happens - not often, but....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
AO Platinum Member

To me it sounds like the original problem was the balance belt starting to go and bits of it were hitting the cover and making the noise.
Which then later failed completely and was the reason for the vibration above 4000rpm.
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 28-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

156 TS

noise disapeared once belt removed, so original noise was alternater as it stopped once changed. was charged for a Power steering pump as he had a stethascope on it and reckons it was worn
Garage was recommended by friend and yes they left the under tray undone (bolts missing). I have reciepts for early in the year for a brand new undertray and fittings (100)
Car was 1 owner full history, and belts were changed at 58000 miles (now 90000) so its not a lack of servicing.
I think a mixture of idiots working on it aswell as Alfa gremlins

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , twinspark