Cyclic rubbing sound... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-12-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.0 TSpark

Cyclic rubbing sound...

Argh..a little last minute but...

I recently left my 156 sat in an Airport carpark for 4 weeks while sunning myself and have come back to some strange noises from the front end! From around 30mph onwards there's a cyclic sound (not to dissimilar to a washing machine winding down from a spin!), it's defiantly linked directly to the cars speed and not anything to do with the engine.

My first thought was wheel bearings, but i have heard from others that miss-shaped tyres (after having sat 4 weeks) could be the cause.

I am about to head to France on a bit of a road trip with friends, some 2000miles or so, if there is a chance it's a wheel bearing prob would anyone say my proposed road trip is a disaster?!

Merry Christmas and thanks
Sponsored Links
County: Wiltshire
Re: Cyclic rubbing sound...

Unlikely to be mishaped tyres unless they were flat, 4 weeks is nothing. More likely just a build up of surface rust on your brake disks and the callipers are a touch sticky after not being used for a while, go out for a spin in a quite area and do some hard braking, this will clean them off and hopefully get rid of the noise, otherwise the pads may be worn out and your down to metal, don't wait for the warning to come on, the last 2 cars I've worked on had had the wires cut off.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-09 Thread Starter

Member car:

156 2.0 TSpark

Turned out the front left bearing was on the way out..failed about 100km south of Metz! AA cover was good though and we continued with a hire car. Picking up my Alfa from a French garage sometime soon, looks like it will have cost me 700 including new front tyres and tracking!

The bearing completely ceased resulting in two bald patches on the tyres, hence the new ones. Does anyone know if having moved the car in this state (front wheels literally not turning), onto the back of a tow-truck, might have done some damage to the transmission, engine etc.. It didn't sound to healthy when the recovery guy was moving it!?

Lessons learned:
1 - always get European breakdown cover
2 - Don't go on a road trip with an unfamiliar sound from an Alfa!

Last edited by Number22; 05-01-09 at 13:44.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Test it after the new bearings/tyre have been fitted, and listen in?:

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

cyclic , rubbing , sound