Complete System Failure! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
147 King
Complete System Failure!

Recently I began a 1000km journey in good spirits. 200km's from my departure my car got stuck in 5 th gear. I stopped on the side of the road and began making calls to tow trucks etc. An hour later the car's gear's started to work normally. A further 100km's and the same thing. The car stopped working three times throughout my journey. When I got it to my destination it finally gave the ghost.

The whole dash began lighting up and switching off, reporting failures of every system that it has!

Eventually I got it into the dealers where they hooked it up to a diagnosis machine and promptly told me that there was nothing wrong. I took the car but couldn't even get out of the car park!

To cut a long story short, they had the car for a MONTH, yes, a MONTH! They replaced the computer box but to no avail. Eventually they fixed the rpoblem and told me that it was merely a loose connection between the computer and the selespeed pump. Bull**** because they checked the wiring the first day they had the car.

Well I have my baby back and she is working as beautifully as she always has. I got a new computer box for free and for apparently no reason!

My father's mate drove a selspeed for a year and then switched to a manual and he said that if he could give me any advice i should do the same.

I'm CONFUSED! What are the thoughts of those in the know? (meaning you guys!)
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: -
Cannot make any real comment on the Selespeed because I have a delightful manual.
147 king,i have 156 selespeed and have had no problems so far touch wood. .besides why buy a manual alfa when you can get two options for the price of one,city mode or tiptronic. wink .just think when you are stuck in miles of traffic clutch,unclutch,clutch,unclutch. .no siree,selespeed for me anytime,and i can do in my 2.0 selespeed anything that a manual driver can.stick with the sele. wink
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

I had already a big problem on the delivery day, but replacement of the computer did the trick for me. Since the replacement my Selespeed is faultless and enjoy it every day. My advice stick with the Selespeed unless it will give you problems again.
AO Gold Member

I had the same problem with my manual (!) 147 JTD. Not that it was sruck in 5th gear but the complete christmass tree, giving all the errors ... and all the warnings + lights

After I pulled into a P and ceasing the engine, I was unable to start her again

Disconnecting the battery for a few minutes did the trick for me, never had the problem again

Just an electrical glitch, I can live with it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

complete , failure , system