Does anyone actually get on and do some of the more onerous jobs themselves? Belt changes, waterpumps and so on. What is the underbonnet access like? I did the cambelt on her ladyships Audi A4. Had to take the whole front of the car off to gain access,
I tend to do all the work on my cars myself for the following reasons:
1.I know it is done properly following the manufacturers guidelines
2.I enjoy messing about with cars a lot.
3. It costs slightly less.
So far on the GTA i have done:
- 6 oil and filter services(in 23 months of ownership). I hate every time i have to do this as i cannot lift the car up properly and taking the filter off is a bit tricky if you want to avoid draining it all over yourself.
- Have changed the engine oil cooler as the original developed a leak. This was an amazingly easy job.
- Have replaced all the brakes. Easy job but you need to spend a lot of time cleaning and lubricating.
- Have changed Cam Belt with all thetensioners/waterpump/sparkplugs. There is next to no access between the chasis leg and engine. Very fiddly job and requires a lot of alfa special expensive tools. Very satisfactory job especially when you turn the key and all comes to life.
- Changed coolant. Easy job you need to let the system deaerate after you fill it.
- I repaired some surface rust on the rear arches and one front wing and the repainted the areas and then waxoyled it. This saved me a lot of money as the bodyshop wanted 150 quid per corner. It costed me 100 quid to do the whole lot using top quality materials.