156 2.0TS Engine Blown - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
156 2.0TS Engine Blown

Hi, I'm unhappy - my engine started making a noise during/after a long journey last week, I think it must have started after a sudden loss of power for a couple of seconds, it then seemed OK so I carried on, when I came off the motorway (some 150 miles later) I could hear a tapping noise from the engine, went straight to my dealer who checked the oil (1st thing they always do) and found it to be almost empty, just below the bottom mark, knowing about high TS oil consumption I checked mine every few weeks (around 500 miles), during the 10,000 miles/6 months of my ownership (car is 18 months old) it hardly moved, I last checked it around 2 weeks before this problem and again it had not moved much (not enough to warrant a top up at that time) - dealer tells me the engine may be shot (they are stripping for investigation) and may not be covered under *****-care warranty - any experience / views ???
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Couple of questions...

Did you not get an oil pressure warning light come on?

And who told you that "just below the bottom level" is "almost empty"?

There will be a threshold value, known only to the engine designer, which will be below the bottom dipstick mark. So, you need to find out, in a written statement, how much oil it took to get it up to what level.

Do that immediately, then wait for the outcome of the 'tapping sound' enquiry. Post back.
AO Gold Member
the differnce between MAX and MIN on the dip stick is about 1 litre. so if it was a bit under MIN, presumably you still had more than 3 litres of oil. i dont think the problem was due to lack of oil. however i am sure that it did not help the situation!

good luck

PS: it's ALFA not ***** wink

Hi Steely
Welcome to the forum.Sorry to hear of your engine troubles.High oil consumption is a known trait of the 2.0TS engine but there is definitely something sus there.The engine does not just empty itself of oil.
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 51
I had a 1.8TS whose engine blew, a big end bearing "moved" at 13k miles. Oil level was ok though!
AO Gold Member
County: -
Sorry to hear of your problems
. But the motto of this story is always carry some oil. If motor "blows" then fill her up before any one gets near her. frown
AO Platinum Member
If something broke and you continued to drive the car, then the oil loss could have happened after the problem. If there was an oiling problem then the oil warning light should have popped up red.

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

1750GTV 147Lusso

Once an oil pressure light shows, it's way too late I'm afraid. They are no help at all. You either need a gauge, but that means someone has to watch it, or you need an early warning sensor...

I don't know what to say really. I have heard people topping up their oil after a failure, but the clean oil stands out like a sore thumb on strip down! In all fairness I don't think you can detect a noise in an engine, and then press on for another 150 miles. If it's a bearing that's caught or run, then the bottom end could be knackered, and there is no way a warranty will cover it with the oil off the bottom of the dipstick.
Still waiting to hear the final verdict.

I didn't hear the engine noise until I left the motorway (my music always too loud) - no oil lights or rise in temp - I was not really concerned about the short loss of power (I experienced that on my Renault a few times) it was going fine afterwards, dip-stick registered oil under the lower mark (+it had only been standing for a few mins)so not empty (although thats what the garage is now saying) - guess I will find out in the next couple of days...will post outcome!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 20ts , blown , engine