156 - Shock Absorbers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 20-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Thumbs Up 156 - Shock Absorbers

Let's face it, the 156 factory suspension setup isn't the best, is it? Banging and crashing from one bump to the next, and generally very unpleasant. I have tried several setups on my 2.4 JTD SW since 2006 and at last believe I have found the best available.

1ST, appreciate that the front end weight differences between the 4-cylinder cars and the 5-cyl/ 6-cylinder cars are significant.

2ND - ask yourself how the same springs and shock absorbers could be used for all models. Answer - they shouldn't be.

My car was converted to Eibach Pro-Kit -30mm springs in 2006. There are two Eibach kits, one for 4-cyl cars, and another for V6 and 2.4 JTD cars. The car had new uprated front shock absorbers from a well-known Alfa parts emporium and standard rear shock absorbers direct from AR, with new wishbones + anti-roll bar + drop links. This sharpened the handling very much but the standard Alfa crash/ bang/ lurch suspension was just terrible afterwards. I took some good advice from uber-knowledgable Neil Smith (see ARCA) and I have the solution.

We've all heard about the special shock absorbers developed by Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey, right? Your next challenge is to try and buy the correct ones for your car! R H-B developed special Bilstein shock absorbers for the GTA, which are sold by MONZASPORT - see Alfa Romeo Car Dealer - Monza Sports Tuning Ltd These are obviously correct for the 6-cylinder cars and also the 2.4 JTD as the front end weights are quite similar. They are NOT intended for the 4-cylinder cars. I now have a pair of these special front shocks on my car, and the transformation is incredible. Try it ! They aren't cheap, but in my estimation simply the best mod anyone could make to a 5cyl or 6-cyl car. I have left the standard rear shocks alone. It would be improved further by upgrading to the special Bilsteins, but it's quite acceptable as it is.

Contact BRYN GRIFFITHS at MONZASPORT, tel 01903 893052.

The result is what a 156 should have always been from new - you will be impressed ! Get them while you can. Oh, and thanks to Neil Smith (NJS, Pershore) for his good advice and always 110% positivity !

Cheers to Neil and to Bryn.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , absorbers , shock