Low Battery and mystery failures - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 20-12-08 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales
Low Battery and mystery failures

I have a 156 - which is really cose for fun, however, it is also an Alfa, and mixing robotics, Marelli and climate contriol in one package (and having owned Alfas, a Nuovo GTV and (still) a '91 33, gave me pause before I bought it. Black. My son said "Dad, you like pretty cars". True.
We also own a Honda Odyssey, and a year ago, when its battery started to fail, I had to re-program the radio regularly as when you started it the battery dropped to a level which clearly caused problems. The Alfa (2004 model) just started doing the same thing. Lock away in memory.

Then, I managed to short out the lighter with a bogus car phone charger, and the aircon stopped working (Thinks - I bet the lighter fuse operates the compressor clutch) It does. Now aircon works. Briefly. Clutch fine. gas pressure fine. Autoelectrician pulls out selespeed relay (marked fan 2 - so typical) and freaks out ECU. Car wont start. After we work out how to reset the system (its in the manual) car starts, ECU warning light comes on, but after re-gassing system aircon worlks, even though the pressures were OK before. After 2 days doesnt work again (on my side of the car!) - My theory is that when the battery is low, the stepper motors in the aircon do not properly reset themselves, in the same way the radio plays up. What do you think? I am about to test it (new battery and reset) and will get back to those interested. I suspect that this may be the root cause of many problems with the automated systems, but at this stage its only a guess.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Low Battery and mystery failures

Seles' are a case in point too, regarding the requirement of a really decent battery.: No trouble with ours ever, after she had a new quality box full of volts and amps fitted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

battery , failures , low , mystery