This is from www.honestjohn.co.uk.
Do you think its a fair assesment, 147 owners? Also notice the 36k cambelt change reccomendation.
Stunning-looking replacement for 145/146 with front-end retro styling reminiscent of late 1940s Alfas. Based on 156/Tipo floorpan. 120 bhp 1.6 Twin-Spark, 150 bhp 2.0 TS and 110 bhp JTD. Voted European 'Car of the Year' 2001 narrowly pipping the Ford Mondeo for the title. February 2001 launch models are the 121mph 120bhp 1.6TS in Turismo or Lusso trim and the 129bhp 150bhp 2.0TS with Alfa Romeo's Selaspeed semi automatic gearbox. All models are well equipped with air-conditioning and ABS as standard. Prices start at £12,985 for the 1.6TS Turismo, rising to £17,340 for the 2.0TS Selaspeed. Standard 3 year warranty included in price. 5 door version with 2.0TS manual gearbox offered from May 2001. V6 GTA version due October 2002. Usergroup: www.alfaowner.com
Poor score in 2001 NCAP crash tests. Problems with Selaspeed gearbox actuator on 156 models and long wait for replacement parts reported by two readers. Could be repeated with 147. Paddle shift arrangement for Selaspeed on 147 doesn't work very well. Not a great drive. Paint problems with solid lacquered black. FIAT/Alfa joint worst for breakdowns attended by German ADAC during 2001. Alfa Romeo 2nd least reliable of 31 makes of car in 2002 'Which?' reliability survey cars 2000 - 2002; 3rd least reliable cars 1997 - 1999.
What to Watch Out For
Witches brew of problems. This is just one owner's experience:-
"Here is a list of my faults of which most are on the AA report.
1) Selespeed failure to engage gear. Leaving car in dangerous position. Normally happens when on roundabout or turn when engine cold. Alfa dealer has had car in 4 times and not solved problem.
2) Alarm goes off when boot is unlocked with remote control.
3) Boot plastic gutter trim not secure at rear edge, hatch not
4) Oil leak.
5) Positive terminal battery cover broken.
6) CD Player skips on normal CDs even when car stationary.
7) Front Windscreen washers very poor.
8) Power Steering fluid level below minimum.
9) Handbrake cable on left not fitted properly to floor bracket.
10) Timing belt cover not fitted correctly, gap at top and loose.
11) Carpet hanging out of passenger front lower trim.
12) Carpet loose on side of center console.
13) Alternator fails to charge battery.
14) Only 25 to 26mpg.
15) Engine uses oil.
16) Rattles from Door trims.
17) Rattles from rear seats.
18) Rear seats not locking in position.
19) Sunroof blind completely missing.
20) Sunroof fails to open.
21) Finish keeps coming off Selespeed Paddles on steering wheel.
22) The Climate Control keeps going to HIGH and MAX."
September 2002: TSB issued to change timing belts and tensioners at 36,000 miles rather than 72,000 miles.