V6 high idle solved FINANLLY - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
V6 high idle solved FINANLLY

Hi Thanks ro all with advice on the V6 high idle I had for months.It all started when i tried to clean the throttle body.I then had a 1500 idle.I must have confused the computer.What my mechanic finally die (after four other "cure Tries" We disconnected the sensor the is at the bottom of Bosch sensor (TPS) then turned key to "mar" engine off.After 20 seconds i pushed the accelerator to floor once and released it.Then switched off the key after 30 seconds.After restarting the car for 1 minute.Switched off the key,disconnected the battery for 2 minutes reconnected and bingo the car ECU reset itself and car back to 850 rpm.Wow it was great.The car is like new again.I don't know if this works in all situations but if the ECU sneses dirt etc.in intake area the TPS sensor will sned a "bad" signal to ECU.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
glad you're ok now wink
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 92

Member car:

2014 Honda CR-V

Wow Vince, you must be very brave to have dared to bring a 156 to the US without proper dealers to maintain it... I'm impressed...

But, after all, just looking at it makes it worthy, hehe.

AO Member
cool very happy 4 ya
by any chance is there a ticking sound from some belt or tensioner or something in that range
how much do u have on the clock and did u change ur belt?
Jarmo Korhonen
Hi vince,

and you did all that, but not threw salt over your left shoulder under full moon. Glad it worked anyway.

How in the earth did you came up with that particular procedure?

(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 06-02-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hi Jarmo and Firebird and all.Yes I was VERY brave to have one of three 156 in USA.It has been sooo reliable in four years.I don't have the creaking dash,water under carpet,rust on sills,bad paint,bad brakes, squeaking suspension,etc.This car must have been made by Luigi on wednesday,before "wine"break.As for how I came up with this I have an old time egineering "thinker" mechnaic (he ownsa masserati quatro -6 carbs!) who once worked for AMG of MBenz.He had tried everything and told me of the time he and three other "PRO" MB mech in the early 90's were working on a MBenz 740The v8 fly by wire (MB invented it) He said they did a complete engine and put all leads on spark plug.When started it ran on 7 cyl.Couldn't see why.Then realized one spark plug lead was no on.Once reconnected it still ran on 7.So guess what it wasn't in the MB book,MB in Germany didn't know why,Finally my Mech disconnected the main connection to coil banks and left key on started car after battery disconnected and all was well.Simple! What happens is that the computer senses the one cylinder has no spark so why send gas to it.Makes sense.But after reconnected the ECU still doesn't recognize it.So by disconnecting the main coil lead,Like the TPS snesor plug in on my V6 and then turn key on depress pedal once this sends a signal to sensor which comes right back since disconnected.Once reattached you undo battery for a minute which tells computer that area has beed worked on and to reset.Wolaaa.What a nightmare it was.Vince

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

finanlly , high , idle , solved