Getting throught the MOT
My 2001 156SW 1.8TS has just passed its MOT. Just thought I'd put together a couple of points that came out of the process.
For a few months I've been getting a couple of fault codes relating to one of the precat lambda sensors. These are reasonably accessible but according to the book, you need a special tool with a slot to accomodate the cable. I bought a genuine but second hand sensor off ebay for £15. To get the old one off, liberal WD40 was applied for a few hours. I then cut the plug off the sensor cable which allowed me to get a 22mm normal ring spanner on the sensor. A smart tap with a hammer on the other end of the spanner and it was free. An open ended spanner was enough to fit the replacement sensor. It took about a 10 mile run for the ECU to learn the new sensor, and everything was fine after that.
I had a set of wheels and tyres to fit since the existing tyres were a bit marginal. I now realise I should have been more careful with the trolley jack, because the bent rear suspension arm was an MOT fail.
And that, apart from new discs and pads, left me with a new MOT. It is worth pointing out that the worn antiroll bar bushes (not drop links) were not a failure point.