Selespeed Gear Selection 2 to 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Steve 147
Selespeed Gear Selection 2 to 3

For the past 18 months I have had continuos problems with shifting up from 2 to 3 when frequently it would go into neutral or 4 of 5.

After various different remedies (including oil changes, exorcisms and herbal medicenes) none of which has worked the gearbox finally disintegrated and 'blead' oil on to the floor and died.

On Saturday the gearbox was replaced and also a new clutch fitted and foolishly I thought that was the answer to all my woes.

Today the new gearbox started slipping again - so i take the car back and apparently there is another 147 in with the same problem - which they now know how to fix!

Alfa apparently recognizes this as a fault with certain models and under certain driving conditions (i.e. if you drive in very heavy traffic where you are stationery for a long time or make lots of short journerys with short stops in between) It's a pity it has taken 18 months to tell me there is a fault in the design of the gearbox which can be modified to eliminate the fault.

The other Alfa by the way belongs to a well known national radio presenter who was having the same problems driving in the stop start traffic in London!

I have learnt not to get too excited just yet - until i've driven it a few 100 miles with no faults i'm still sceptical that it can be fixed. I hope so!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gear , selection , selespeed