Which 156? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Re: Which 156?

I think that the 156 1.6 TS is a real fun Alfa to drive, but you do need to work it hard (which is part of the fun I suppose)
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

happy with my 1.6, but thats all i was budgeting for: mpg, insurance, tax, servicing etc.
if i could afford it a v6 would be my baby!
had a few small niggles but far, far less *and cheaper than(!) the VWs and Mercs in the family!

go for a mid engine size: 2.0JTS/1.9JTD, you will easily enjoy driving her and all your mates/family will admire your car or be plain jealous!
and every girl who has been for a ride with me notices the car and how well it pulls
AO Member

Member car:

02 Alfa 156 v6

I spent nearly six months looking for just the right 156. It took ages to track down the right age, it had to be pre-exterior facelift but post-interior facelift. The right colour combo, silver with red leather. The right engine, 2.5 v6; 4 cylinders just don't cut it. The right trim, lusso not veloce; veloce lowered suspension handles better but I live in area with a lot of speed-bumps. Low-mileage, FSH, cam belt done. It took a long time to find it but it was worth the wait. Whatever spec you decide on, don't compromise. If it's not exactly what you're looking for then walk away, otherwise you'll always have that nagging disappointment that you didn't get the car you wanted.
AO Member

I paid 5000 for my 2003 1.8 TS Sportwagon just over a year ago with 75,000 miles on the clock and full Alfa history. I bet you can get them for well under that in the current climate so you should have the pick of the crop with your budget.

Economy wise I get 32 - 34 mpg which seems ok and on a recent motorway run i noticed i was getting 39mpg and that was with some quite spirited driving! The 1.8 and 2.0 TS aren't that green though so road tax is a bit dearer.

Performance wise the 1.8TS has all I need and although it's not super fast from a standing start it has plenty of zip when you're moving especially if you push on up through the revs (which is always fun in an Alfa!)

The one piece of advice I would give to any new TS engine owner though is you must check your oil WEEKLY. The TS engine can use quite a bit of oil (or none at all if you're lucky) so you must keep an eye on it if you don't want to kill it.

All in all the 156 is the best car I've ever had in every department (looks, comfort, fun factor) and I'm sure whichever one you get you will thoroughly enjoy it. After more than a year of ownership i still look forward to getting behind the wheel and would definitely recommend an Alfa to anybody who fancies something a bit more individual.

Happy Hunting!
AO Silver Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

I've just bought a 156 sportwagon for £5400 fsh 72000 miles! needs a bit of tlc to tidy it up a bit, but just cosmetic stuff! had to travel 130 miles to get it, but love it, fits kids & dog, and still looks cool!
AO Member
County: East Sussex

Member car:

I picked up my 2003 pre facelift 2.4JTD Sportwagon last Friday, I love it! it looks awsome and sounds fantastic too. I've done 500miles so far and not seen less than 42mpg and thats with a duff thermostat. I got the pre face lift exterior but face lift interior and its my favorite combination. As others have said, decide on your spec then just keep searching until the right one turns up, I travelled 300 miles to get mine in the end but it was well worth it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT