156 Noisy reverse gear - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 26-01-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

156 Noisy reverse gear

A colleague of mine drives a 156 Sportwagon 2.0 (5-speed MT). When the reverse gear is about to engage, there's a loud grinding sound from the gear box as if the clutch pedal is not fully pressed. This grinding generates enough force to jolt the car slightly backward. This happens every time when selecting reverse.

Our local Alfa dealer is still uncertain about the cause. If anyone has had a similar problem, please advice. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hei Wisrute,

Volvo V40/S40 have almsot similar thingie so worth to check :

1.the rubber parts that hold the gearbox at his place
2.the rubber thingies that regulate how far/where the gear goes.

hope it helps a bit,
AO Gold Member
stupid answer but anyway here goes:

is he waiting for at least 2 seconds with the clutch fully depressed, before engaging the reverse gear?
this is mentioned in the manual of the 147. reason being, there is no button for reverse select. and it takes a bit of time (about 3 secs) to be done automatically.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 28-01-03 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 & WRX PPP

The noise occurs only when the reverse gear is engage once the clutch pedal is fully depressed. If it is engaged a few seconds after the clutch is depressed, then it is fine - no noise.

But then my own car has no such problem. It's the same 5-speed gear box as my friend's.

What T.P. mentioned had happened to my very own car. Some sort of improper adjustment that allows 'play' of the gear lever. I had problem engaging 4th, it just won't slot in place (but no sound). A quick adjustment solved that permanently.

Many thanks,

//2000 156 2.0TS / AD Remap / Supersprint Exhaust / K&N Filter Kit / Rhoddy Harvey-Bailey Suspension / AR Strut bar /16" Telephone dials + Yokohama V550 / Tar-Ox discs + SS lines + MQ pads //

//2005 Subaru Impreza WRX PPP / K&N Short Ram-air Intake / Brembo 4-pot Brake Kits / Prodrive GC-010 British Black 18x7.5 Forged Alloys / Michelin Pilot Sport Cup / Prodrive Spring Kit / STi Aero kit //

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , gear , noisy , reverse