Oil Level How Low is Fatal? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Re: Oil Level How Low is Fatal?

Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
Totally agree zf, always keep the oil clean (nice golden colour) always keep to max level, if it goes wrong at least you can't blame yourself!
I'm not so sure about retaining the nice golden colour. Aren't modern oils supposed to get dark and dirty looking as they are helping to keep the engine clean? Soot etc.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: West Midlands

You are right so far rockhopper, if your oil pressuer light comes on it does mean that your oil pressure is low, but it does not mean that your engine is dameged, lets get this right! its a warning light to let you know that your oil pressure is low and you must top up imedietly or you will risk damege to your engine.( means new engine)
AO Gold Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

But if the cause of the low oil pressure is that you have no oil, the damage will almost certainly have already been done.

If the oil pressure is low for some other reason, topping the oil up may well not make any difference.
AO Gold Member

Most engines run at around 4bar (60psi) oil pressure when healthy - the oil pressure warning light normally is switched on at about 0.5 bar (7psi). If at normal engine speeds you've got that low a pressure, you are certainly in danger of damaging your big end bearings, at least.

Just running low on oil "may" not cause damage, and hopefully the OP will be lucky, but the twinnie engines are notoriously intolerant of low oil levels, so just in case anyone hadn't caught the irony in 74spider's post - Check your oil regularly - at least as often as you fill with fuel!

And don't bother looking for a low oil level light - unless you've got a 155 I don't believe there is one....

AROC Vice-Chairman and Lancashire Section Secretary

Alfa organ donor to the gentry......
(Post Link) post #55 of 56 Old 25-12-08 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands

well, I've got away with it so far, although it was low (by 2l not the 1l I first thought) and of poor quality so time will tell I suppose. As a further nasty surprise, I have found the cambelt has indeed been done, after the belt snapped! but that was 25k miles ago so I guess any problem would have surfaced by now.

Still, it sounds as sweet as my well pampered 145 2.0, so maybe I have been doubly lucky, or those trashed the bottom ends have suffered sustained abuse before they let go.

Despite a few potential issues, the car goes great and mrs purple loves it, which is the main thing.
AO Gold Member

and you need Alfadiag !!! and one of my OBD2 cables to check on your Sele and recalibrate if necessary !!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

fatal , level , low , oil