147 CD Changer? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 14-01-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 CD Changer?

Hi there, Can anyone tell me if its possible to connect a CD changer to the standard single CD palyer in 147's as standard. I'm sure its a Blaukpunt head unit, but would like to install a changer without paying genuine alfa prices.

There doesnt appear to be a port on the back, just a collection of wires.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Hi Spooky!

There is another post on this site about CD changers. Use "MP3" on the search facility and you'll see it. I used it today myself. I have not yet workrd out how to link URL directly with another thread.

the CD changer you are looking for (among others perhaps) is a Sony CD TDX 70 (I think).

If I manage to find the link I'll let you know.

Someone else help please
Check out this company -

Bluespot Car Audio

The units in 147s are Blaupunkt and you will be able to get a changer to fit. Should cost between £150 - 200 i would have thought.
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire
Hi Spooky,
You can indeed fit your own CD changer to a 147 - it's easy and no modifications are necessary to the car. Here are the instructions I first posted in October 2001:

Alfa 147 CD Autochanger Installation

Parts Required
Blaupunkt CDC-A08 CD Autochanger
1 x insert for CD to head unit connector (a car audio or electrical supplier should be able to supply something suitable)
Self-adhesive Velcro hook tape

Tools Required
Cross-head screwdriver
Head unit extractors (U shaped wire loops to fit the holes in the front panel)
Stiff wire e.g. coat hanger wire

This should take about one hour. No modifications are necessary to the car. The changer will sit on the boot floor but can easily be removed if it gets in the way. Obviously I accept no liability for any injury or damage incurred following these instructions.
1. Extract the head unit from the dashboard
2. The top connector on the back of the head unit consists of several parts clipped together, there should be a blue part with no wires. Unplug the whole connector (don't worry, you won't have to re-enter the radio code or anything) separate the blue part.
3. The cable supplied with the autochanger is an exact match for the blue part of the connector but has two flying leads for the battery and earth supplies. These are for after-market installations but the 147's head unit has these connections in the blue connector. Tape the brown earth wire can be up out of the way. Crimp the red battery wire into the extra insert and push it in to the one blank socket in the blue connector.
4. Attach the blue connector to the rest of the head unit connector and re-insert in the head unit.
5. Connect the other end of the autochanger cable to the changer. The head unit will automatically recognise the changer and it should now play. Testing over, switch the radio off and disconnect both ends of the changer cable.
6. Now the fun part - routing the cable through the car. Remove the trim panel from below the steering wheel. Poke the changer end of the cable behind the dashboard until it comes out near the fusebox. Pull most of the cable through leaving plenty to reach the head unit.
7. Remove the screw holding the front end of the sill trim panel and pull the door seal off along the bottom edge. Now poke the cable through from the fusebox side and in to the top of the sill trim panel. Pull the cable through and lay it into the channel revealed by removing the door seal.
8. Lift the rear seat cushion and remove the two screws holding the carpet down near the B pillar. Take a straight length of stiff wire and push it through from behind the B pillar towards the front following the existing wiring looms that run under the pillar trim. Tie the wire to the end of the changer cable. Pull the changer cable through to the under seat area with the wire.
9. Again following the existing looms, push the changer cable under the rear seat back. It will probably come out in the spare wheel well.
10. Remove the spare wheel cover and the tie down loop from the rear corner of the floor. Route the changer cable alongside the existing loom, up behind the trim panel and out of the tail lamp access flap.
11. Replace the tie down loop and spare wheel cover.
12. Stick Velcro hook tape to the bottom of the CD changer to stop it sliding around and place it in the corner of the boot.
13. Connect the changer cable to the changer and re-insert the head unit connector. Test the changer again.
14. Replace the two carpet screws by the B pillar, the door seal, the one sill trim panel screw and the trim panel under the steering column.
Job done!

"Diesel - Green Fuel of the Future" - Lucas Diesel Systems slogan circa 1992
AO Gold Member
Velcro rules

You could also stick it under the passanger seat ...
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

I did exactly all that without instructions. Damn i m good

- and modest

perfect isntructions btw wink
(Post Link) post #7 of 8 Old 16-01-03 Thread Starter
AO Member
Cheers Simon S! Just what I was after. Its not actually for me, but a freind and this seems idiot proof enough for even him!
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Thanks for the instructions Simon. All I need now is the money to buy the changer! frown

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , changer