timing / cam belt + balancer belt & tensioner / serpantine belt & tensioner? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 28-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147

timing / cam belt + balancer belt & tensioner / serpantine belt & tensioner?

hi all

i'm just looking at quotes for a timing belt change and i'm a little confused.

i understand that a cam belt is a timing belt but what exactly is a serpantine belt? is it a balancer belt?

arese spares quote A$238 for a cambelt kit and A$168 for a balancer belt and tensioner. is this all i will need or is there more? note: i've also been quoted A$75 for a rocker cover gasket and i know some people take the opportunity to change the water pump but the local alfa dealer said it's unlikely to need it because it's just a 147.

also how many hours labour should it take? alfa dealer says 3 and a half hours. local mechanic says about 6 hours but his rates are much cheaper.

also what are the risks of the local mechanic doing it. i've been told he may not have the necessary equipment to do it right.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 237
County: Moray
Re: timing / cam belt + balancer belt & tensioner / serpantine belt & tensioner?

Serpantine belt is the aux belt , the one driving the Alternator, aircon and power steering, and yes thats roughly right for hours , can be done by others if they have the knowledge and reputation of doing a good job on Alfas, special tools are required especially the camblocks, without them its a no no.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

balancer , belt , cam , serpantine , tensioner , timing