Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 26-11-08 Thread Starter
County: Cornwall

Member car:

156 telespeed

This is a very sad tale.

I brought my 156 xreg not long ago.

2 weeks after I noticed an oil leak, so I rang the warrantee people and was advised to book it into a local garage of their choice and take it from there.

When I picked the car up I was told the oil leak was fixed and it was done under the warrantee, but the front swing arms needed replacing. So I re-booked the car in. Meanwhile the oil was still leaking! So the car goes back to the garage to be repaired again. I recieved a quote for the oil leak and swing arms of 993. I spoke to the dealer whom I brought the car from and he agreed to pay 450 towards the cost.

After FOUR Weeks of being in the garage I eventually got the car back but the bill was now 1,399! And was told I couldnt have the car till I paid.

So off I trot to my parents house 250 miles away with 3 off my children for a weekend, and pop in to see a friend of mine who is a machanic. He looks at the bill with a sharp intake of breath! And explains he thinks the head had gone at some point in the past and was bodged back together.

On my way home the engine throws a piston!!!!! The car is now on my parents driveway and Im not sure what to do...

New engine and put it all down to bad experience (all beit expensive experience)

or is there something else I can do. I spoke to the dealer who fobbed me off and I've spoken to the garage who also fobbed me off.

any ideas????

sorry its so long a story...but I love my car so much I just dont know what to do!!
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Re: Help!

New and recon engines are a good way to go as then you get some piece of mind with a warantee. repairing the engine will include a rod, piston, crank regrind, overszed bearings and all sorts of stuff which is fine if you can do it yourself!
If you had a warantee on the vehicle then its up to them to pay and fix these problems. Headgaskets usaully aren't covered but big end bearings and shells usaually are so its their responsibility to pay for that kind of damage especially if they recommended the garage and there is a link. I would speak to the warantee people and the dealer again.
What exactly did the garage fix to stop the oil leak? Find out what they did and then you can see if the price really is reasonable. I would presume not. All this info should help when claiming against the warantee.
Look on the bright side though. You still own an alfa and not some boring euro/eco box!!

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
Alfa Mito QV , BMC filter.

GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT