Buying dilemma... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Buying dilemma...

Gentlemen, some advice please...
I am considering buying an Alfa and am looking at either: 2000/2001 model 156 or 2002 147 – spec of both is 2.0 Selespeed.

156 pros
I like the styling more
Slightly roomier?
Better resale?

147 pros
Nicer interior
Newer car/warranty
Latest technology (although from this forum 147’s seem to have more faults?)
Sponsored Links
isn't the 156 due to be restyled... seen a post a few days ago... double check...
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1561
County: -

Member car:

busso powered

When I bought my 147 I had the same problem. The 147 won because it was far better equipped then the 156. And I prefer the levers for shifting gears on a steering wheel over the switches the 'old' 156 has.

If you let your heart speak go for the one you think has the best looks and if you let your mind decide, go for the one with the warranty.

They are very simalar to drive. Simalar quality etc etc. I think it's down to which you like the look of most. The 156 has more engine choices and the new JTS engine. The 147 will probably follow but I don't think the 147 will get a 2.5 V6.

I prefer the look of the 156 but the 147 is rarer (at least here) and that's a major plus.

would go for 156 cause of :

more room
less noise inside
easyer to resell (and buy another Alfa ofcourse )

...but i cant desice for you.

AO Gold Member
County: -
Well with a 156 hardly anyone will notice you.

In a 147 almost everyone seems to notice you.

Thus if you are up to no-good go for the 156 otherwise ????
The 156 is slightly sexier
AO Silver Member
Well, that depends on the type of 156 you are driving. Mine has 17" and Azurro Nuvola color and a lot of people look at it.

Besides not everybody chooses a car because it is exclusive or because they want to attract attention. I just enjoy looking at my car when walking to it every morning
Even if half the country had one I would still have chosen it. I love the 147 but I like the 156 even more!

In your case, if the looks isn't the most important feature I would buy the newer car with the upgraded (and faster) Selespeed system. And indeed the interior is better looking IMHO.

Good Luck!

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Stori:
<strong>Well with a 156 hardly anyone will notice you.

In a 147 almost everyone seems to notice you.

Thus if you are up to no-good go for the 156 otherwise ???? </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
Have to say I prefer the old 156 interior. The new one is a little glitzy for my tastes. 147 interior is ok if it's not the two - tone type. i.e. beige and black and silver and...
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Why is it that with hindsight the earliest incarnation of a cars styling always seems to be best & purest, cf 164, Giulia coupe, Sud, 105 series spider.

So no great expectations of 156 restyle. I'd go for 156, not much performance difference, they are essentially the same chassis, you will fit more in & get better resale.

Of course factors like children (or lack of) etc. might make the difference in your decision.
AO Member
in the begining, I wanted to buy an 156; I thought it was bigger, I was expecting a child, etc...
but, when I tried the car, I found no space inside! I have 2m, and the dashboard was squeezing my right leg; for me, 147 is lot more confortable...
the image? 156 is the car that makes you turn your eyes after...but the 147 is the care that makes you turn your head after...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

buying , dilemma