Gt - Rust - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Gt - Rust

Evening all,

Bought my 04 GT 18 mths ago. I saw what I thought was a bit of overspray on the roof, where it meets the windscreen and being a **** I have ignored it.

Anyway.... re-noticed in last week and its bubbled up a bit. Took it to Alfa, its rust. Thought I would claim on the 8 year warranty and the alfa dealer agreed, took a photo and said he would submit the claim.

He phoned me today. It is rust and they are not going to cover it. They say that the car has obviously had a new windscreen and it was not fitted properly. This is not the case. Its the factory fit one and THAT was obviously not fitted properly. They are just refusing to even take a proper look at it.

I have had enough of this alfa attitude. Why give a 8 year warranty and then not honour it. I am thinking of taking it to a non-alfa bodyshop for a report but in reality I do not think I have any options.

I have had a nightmare with this car. I appreciate the reasons for this forum (community sharing tips and advice) but Alfa's are such bad quality. I have had 5/6 cars and never even heard of the grief we all get. They are stunning to look at and when they go they are fantastic but when was the last time you saw/heard of f@?*ing RUST on a car?

What would you do, any similar experience? Its a strip about 5mm wide and 2 cm long running along the edge where the windscreen meets the roof.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Re: Gt - Rust

Isn't it an 8 year perforation warranty. A genuine windscreen doesn't mean it hasn't been replaced....which it sounds like it may well have been.
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Originally Posted by jonnybigfoot View Post
but when was the last time you saw/heard of f@?*ing RUST on a car?
Ever got near a couple of year old Ford?

But no thats pretty bad, But as already posted, unless you can somehow prove that the screen that's in is the original item fitted to the car from the factory, then you don't have much luck.
I'd image it'd be quite pricey to fix, as the screen will have to come out to do it properly??
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTDm 16v Q2

It's hard to recommend a course of action without seeing the rust. Could you post a photo?

Oh, and as Stalefart said, Ford Ka's are terrible for rust. Still, that doesn't help you of course.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Sort the rust out. Its the only un-galvanised panel on the car. Just don't get Alfa to do it, find a decent bodyshop and give them your money instead.
AO Silver Member
County: Gloucestershire

I thought anti perforation warranty meant it had to be perforated (a hole) to be covered. In other words useless marketing ploy. Plus you pay for it to be inspected?
AO Silver Member
County: Dorset

make the mothers fix it. you shouldnt have those sort of problems on a car that young. get in touch with trading standards and citizens advice and see where you stand. a letter from either of those would probably get a better response.
AO Member
County: Leicestershire

I had my screen replaced on my old 147 1.6 and within a year or so I had rust appear above the screen. It sounds identical to yours.
Alfa wouldn't touch it under warranty.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT