More creaks and squeaks - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
K Durose
More creaks and squeaks

I don't know if this info will be of any use to anyone else but I've found the source of two more creaks and squeaks on the 156 that may be driving you towards insanity like they have been doing to me !

-Thought the rear suspension (or even exhaust mountings) were creaking. Not on bumps, but when the car lolls (which as we all know, they don't do much of !!). Nothing as severe or expensive as that. Move your seat forward about an inch. Creak has gone ! Must be the weight of me (14 stone) making the mounting points creak. Bizarre.

-Those horrible little triangular black plastic thingies in the front corners of the front side-windows and the nasty little vent in front and right of the steering wheel. Spray them with WD40 like there's no tomorrow and they squeak no more.

If I find any more I'll just have to turn the stereo up or buy ear-muffs.

Sponsored Links
AO Member

I have been having the same 'interesting' noices from the air-vent (central on the dash). I unscrewed and padded the edges with simple pachaginf foam (and glued).
Noices gone

Two left to go ... the Sony stereo front cover that comes standard (to my knowledge), I seem to have the #1 button jumping with joy all the time (rough roads). I think I will need to unsrew this as well and make sure the spring is 'extended' enough not to allow this.
The last one which is absolutely anoying, is some kind or rattle on the driver's back seat door. I dont know what is causing it, but is sounds like something loose is moving about. I will probably have to pull the cover of, but before I do something like that I will probably get my partner to drive while I sit like an idiot in the back seat and see if I can pin point it better.
On the subject, does anyone know were I might be able to get the workshop manual for the 156 2.5 v6 (veloce) ?
I know it comes as a cd-rom... anyone know if I can actually download it from someone ?
I you have it, please msg me, I promise I have things to excange with you.

* I wish *
AO Member
My 156 only squeaks from somewhere between the driver side sun visor and the rear view mirror.

I can't find out what is loose there. Any suggestions?

AO Member
ah !

I know that one.
the reasons can be either :

1. sunvisor prob...replace
2. roof lining touches roof...some padding in there does the job.

I did the 2nd by adding a little material from the front (between the screen and the lining) . did the job, but on my last service my dealer though to be smart and replace the visor all together , which i think didnt do anything else but make them feel better that they fixed my noices NOT !

I would apply some pressure at the spot when the noices occur and c if that stops them. If so you have the same prob I had.

Hope it helps

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

creaks , squeaks