GT Rumble & Knock - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 14-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Moaning GT Rumble & Knock

Recently I changed all four tyres for Falcon 452's which seemed good value and had good reviews. After getting them changed straight away there was a LOUD rumble which I presumed was just the new tyres, I read that they were a bit louder than the Pirelli's so thought I'd give them a bit of time to run in.
After around 3k miles the rumble certainly aint getting any quieter and I think its getting louder.

Now a loud knock has appeared when going over bumps, but only intermittently - happened 4 times in a mile last night but only once today in 25 miles.

Thought I'd do a bit of investigation and there doesn't appear to be any slack in the bearings up/down or left right, but the tyres are worn down to almost bald over the first inch or so on both fronts, rest of the tread looks ok, and the rears look ok.
When I slowly spun the hub back and forth I could hear the bearings (I think) take up with a little click.

As a bit of background, I've had an intermittent squeak from the front which I thought was the pads, but I changed the discs and pads a while ago. I was told it might be a wheel bearing but ignored it as it didn't happen very often, and hasn't happened since the tyres were changed.

I've read on the threads that one forumite was advised to get all 4 wheels aligned and change the tyres to cure the noise and inside tyre wear. Would this explain the knock or is wheel bearing a suspect?
And is wheel alignment the same as tracking?

Any help or suggestions appreciated!

All this just when I thought for the first time ever it was running perfectly
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

V6 GT & V6 75

Re: GT Rumble & Knock

How old is the car?

The knock could be the ARB drop link. It doesn't take a lot of slop in the joint to make a loud "clonk" that sounds worse that it actually is. Replacing a drop link should be an easy job.

Tyre wear on one edge of both fronts would be down to alignment. Get it checked but I'd advise going somewhere who knows what they are doing. I don't put much faith in some 17/18 year old "trainee" from Kwik-Fit or similiar.

The rumble. If the pitch of the rumble changes with speed, then it's a wheel bearing. If the pitch is constant regardless of speed then it's just the tyres.

Custos Morum

Road Car: 2005 Silver GT V6
Track Car: 1988 Alfa Red 75 V6
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 16-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: GT Rumble & Knock

Just gone past the end of it's warranty at 3 yrs, and only done 33k miles. So much has gone wrong though in my time as an Alfa hobbyist, as soon as I hear a knock, rumble, or creak I now instinctively assume that something has broken or worn out!

Just been down to the tyre 'garage' and, yes, you were right they said the tracking was a mile out, despite the fact I paid them to do it only a couple of months ago. Didn't charge me to put it right but I can't claim new tyres coz I'm outside the 30 day guarantee period - lesson learnt to check the tyres for even wear just before month end next time.

The rumble doesn't change with the speed so I guess it must be the tyres, the Falcons grip massively better than the Pirelli P Zeros I had before, wet and dry, but they are so flippin noisy, it's going to be a love/hate relationship with them...

This afternoon I'll get it up on the ramps and see if I can find anything obviously loose, then I'll do a bit of investigation into the drop link.

Thanks for the steers Groodles.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

knock , rumble