You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Got a letter today from Fiat Auto (UK) Limited

it reads as follows

Dear Customer

Constant monitoring of product quality has identified a possible connection error in the battery charging circuit in a particular group of Alfa Romeo 147 Selespeed vehicles.

Alfa Romeo would request the opportunity to rectify this error at the earliest opportunity. Please contact your usual Alfa Romeo dealer, quoting campaign 4495, who will do this work free of charge by mutually convenient appointment. Details of dealers may be obtained from freephone 0800 718000.

We would thank you for you co-operation and apologise for any inconvenience this request may cause. May we wish you many miles of enjoyable motoring in your Alfa Romeo 147.

Has anybody else had this notice and what are the symptoms of this problem?

I've mentioned problems with the battery charge for months to the dealer (the green indicator keeps disappearing and reappearing- but they've always said that they could not find a fault!
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by 147sillispeed:
<strong>Has anybody else had this notice and what are the symptoms of this problem?
</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">no, but then again i havent got a selespeed wink

phone your dealer see what he says, maybe its a smal thing after all?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

At least mother Alfa shows that is interested in our bellas
See the post

Flat Battery on my 147

I spoke with my dealer, Bryan Bros, Bristol, UK last week and they mentioned the recall. I'm almost certain that it pertains to the following:

On idle if only 12V or less are registering and on revving to 2000-2500 the voltage goes up i.e. the battery starts charging, the dealer should check if the wire is missing. The wire runs across the dash, through the bulkhead and into the engine bay. They have found it only affects the selespeed.

I think this is known as 'smart charging' where the ECU tells the alternator to charge the battery when revs are &lt;2000. Without this the battery would gradually discharge with a lot of town driving to the point that the car will not start - happened to me twice, now fixed with the wire in place. Having said that I did have to have my battery replaced last week possibly because of the previous charging problems - I think it should really have been replaced when they added the wire in but for some reason they chose not to.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , battery , charging , circuit , notice , recall , selespeed