147 "tapping" type noise from engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 09-11-08 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147

147 "tapping" type noise from engine

I have a 147 2.0 T Spark 2004. Yesterday when I started the engine, I heard a strange noise (sorry can't remember what sort of noise - not memorable, but the sort of noise that makes you think somethings not right!) Then the fuel went from half way to empty, which definitely caught my attention, but then went back up again to half way (have started it up again a few times and the fuel gauge does seem to be doing down correctly). Then I started to hear a tapping noise coming from the engine. On further investigation, the tapping speeded up on revving, but appeared to disappear on 2,000 revs. I think it also seemed to go away a bit when the engine warned up. I am a complete novice when it comes to diagnosing faults, but thought I'd try the basics and check oil level. It was half way between the two dots so thought I would fill it up to max. Now, when I start the engine nothing appears out of the ordinary, but if you lift the bonnet and put your ear close to the engine, there is an underlying "tapping" noise. Now, as I say, being a novice, this may be usual, but I am worried the engine might need attention. My question is, would you recommend I get this looked at? Any help and advice anyone can give is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Kent
Re: 147 "tapping" type noise from engine

The problem when you hear a bump or a clunk, is you then start listening out for noises. In most cases, they have always been there, and you pass it by.

Any "unusual" noises are never a good thing, If you are worried about it I'd get it "looked" at, most garages (Indipendant's and dealers) normally have a fixed price diagnostic charge. My last dealer it was 62 inc VAT.

For that they would diagnose any fault, and give you a price for correcting the fault.

I know it's a bit like chucking money away, but you don't want to end up at the side of the road, snapped cam belt, belt valves, damaged piston's and scored liners, it's a bit late, when your looking at a 3/4 figure sum of money, telling the guy you did hear a funny noise the other week..

Hope my advice helps (or hinders )
AO Member
County: Surrey

Member car:

on my car the tapping noise when cold is cambelt tensioner. as the car warms up the engine block expands as its ally and the noise disappears because it tightens the belt on tensioner. I have my car going in for new belts tensioner etc next week. Hope this helps. see my post on tappet noise as i had a few replys.

cheers jeff
AO Member
County: Derbyshire

Member car:

In my experience with the wifes 147 it is quite sensitive to the oil level (especially when parked on a slope), if it gets to around 1/2 between the markers it can be a little noisier on start up and quietens when the oil level is topped up. I always assumed this is a bit of oil starvation on startup and consequently keep the oil level topped up. The other thing that I had got worried about being a little rattly on start up turned out to be the cam variator.

If you have a good indie I'd talk to them, a main steeler will help lighten your pockets and you probably won't get to talk to the mechanic either just the front desk.
AO Silver Member

bit of a suprise, no one has said check your oil!
all the time!
dont let it get to half way between the markers, even though this is 500ml thats enough to cause grief in the future
check your oil every 2 weeks until you are used to checking in a manner that suits your cars drinking habit

and always keep it on the max mark!
AO Member
County: Hampshire

As the mornings are getting colder your oil becomes thicker, things like hydraulic tensioners, hydraulic cam followers, and cam variator take a little more time to pump up on first start. A cold engine will quieten down as it reaches normal operating temp. The tapping noise was probably the variator, does it for a few seconds after start up. I second what mo says, keep your oil up to the max mark,
County: Wiltshire

As you ay it clears when you rev it, it just sounds like the tappets are draining themselves, not a problem just until you change the oil next it'll be like this, but this only starts to happen for one reason, the oil level has been low and the tappets have worn the guide holes, that's not a good thing if it goes on for too long as the only way to fix it is to replace the head, dont worry tough, sounds like yours isn't that bad, but you definately want to change the oil soon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , engine , noise , tapping , type