farewell GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 08-11-08 Thread Starter

Member car:

farewell GT

Just handed back my GT having changed jobs Ithiught I'd share the experiance..

previously had a 156 I thought I would give a GT a go…

The omens were not good, on delivery the headlamps didn’t work.

Quickly fixed by a return to dealer. Suspect no bulbs.. for the next 20 months the driving experience has been great but badly let down by dealers and Alfa service agents. – doubtful if ever will get another.

Heater – never worked properly, no relationship between dial & actual heat / cold output. 4 attempts to fix, never successful – and always random temp output, but you could bet on hot day = hot output, cold day = cold output, especially if I had passengers.

Battery – went flat if car not used for 2 days. 4 attempts to fix – 3 days each time. No fault found. Tell the AA man who jump started it every time, eventually I bought an Argos jump starter.

Air Bag warning light, - every time drivers seat moved this came on, and stayed on. Reset at every service.

ABS/VDC warning light, 6 trips to dealer, reset, then when it reoccurred again, ordered parts, eventually, 4 days off road before fixed (wrong parts ordered by agent – didn’t know they took 4 days..

Wheel hub damaged during service – 5 days off road.

Side indicator fell off . 2 trips – once to confirm & order, I day to fit replacement.

Every time the car went in the service agents kept it for a day, then ordered the parts, (always seen last in day for some reason) then requested I return “when they arrive” – for another full day. – if I was lucky.

More times than not the fault re-appeared or just “not found” . At least 23 days off road or at agents during 20 months – usually taken as holidays from work. Not once was a courtesy car offered, Not once did the agent ring to explain, I had to ring them, and once they were so busy they were not taking any bookings so referred me to another Agent 75 miles away.

Luckily the car was under guarantee and it was a lease car, I’m just so glad it wasn’t my money.

Car brilliant to drive, small faults and dealer / agents just not interested –

So , sorry, never again…..

Maybe I just a poor service agent / dealer, but there's not much choice these days.

Like the car, love the brand, but the experiance was bad, esp considering it should be over £22k on the road.

Sponsored Links
Re: farewell GT

You've had a miserable time of this, no doubt, and the overall experience should have been way better. Good luck with whatever you go for next.

Which main agent have you been dissatisfied with? You don't say where you are based - hoping it's not near me...
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

GT Q2 Cloverleaf

I've had my car for 30 days out of 42. You've been lucky in comparison
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

This sounds just like the service at Autoworld Chesterfield...? It's ridiculous that you have to leave your car all day just for them to find what's wrong, and then take it back for another full day to actually get it fixed. Any other garage does the job lot in one day (unless the part is rare and needs ordering). Sorry to hear the woes.
Regional Representative
For East Midlands - AOEM
County: Leicestershire

sorry to hear of your bad experiance..... once bitten and all that.... never say never though...
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

Sad experience but?:
AO Member

sounds awful, I wouldnt buy another after that experience, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with just creaks and rattles to worry about!
AO Member
County: Greater Manchester

Frightening read, I thought that sort of poor quality in Alfas was a thing of the past. Awful dealer hasn't improved matters though, are all Alfa dealers still cr@p?
AO Silver Member
County: Berkshire

Member car:

Giulietta QV

Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Frightening read, I thought that sort of poor quality in Alfas was a thing of the past. Awful dealer hasn't improved matters though, are all Alfa dealers still cr@p?

It would be interesting to know which dealer the original poster was on about.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT