Selespeed System Failure. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 05-11-08 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

Help Selespeed System Failure.

I just bought a 147 Selespeed 3 weeks ago. I took my bf with me and him, being an apprentice but quit, told me the gearbox was gone. I obviously didn't listen to him and went ahead and bought the car anyways.

A week ago, I parked my car. Came back a few hours later and started it and was faced with the constant annoying beeping message "Selespeed System Failure".

THe problem persisted when I continued to drive it - sometimes when I was in 5th gear, the gear automatically shifted to neutral - I then needed to manually shift the gear and it would then go back to 5th again. It also happened when I was in 1st gear but standing still. It would shift to neutral!

I took it to my mechanic and he didn't say much about what was wrong with it (probably because I'm a girl and wouldnt have a clue what he's on about anyways ). But said it'll cost roughly $4-5k. .

Has anyone else have this problem? Is there a cheaper alternative? Can I just continue to drive the car or is this a serious probolem that should be fixed NOW?

Sponsored Links
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
County: Lancashire
Re: Selespeed System Failure.

im not a selespeed expert but im guessing its quite a serious problem in the long run, it may work to a certain extent now but i could imagine it getting on my nerves by jumping into neutral all the may just be a computer control error or a loose connection but i would get it fixed before something really goes wrong and you need a whole new gearbox and control system.

this is of next to no use whatsoever but im sure somebody will be online at somepoint that knows more than me, hope you get it sorted soon though

AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Hi,maybe a stupid question but have you checked the selespeed oil level? Does it make alot of noise when changing gear?also another thing to try is there is a big connectorto the left and below the battery,unclip it with the ignition on and selespeed failure will pop up on your screen,spray some wd40 over the connectors and clip back together,you will hear the pump start up and the warning will worked for me when my selespeed kept playing up and worth a try rather than paying $4K which to me seems very expensive i would say more like n£400

AO Gold Member

1 check battery ! (14v with running engine)
2 check selespeed oil !
3 listen if your the pump starts when opening the door
4 do the connector trick (see above)
if that all fails
5 do a recalibrate with Examiner at the dealer or find someone with Alfadiag in the neigbourhood (use the AO forum)

p.s. what is the mileage of your car ?
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 06-11-08 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

Hmms. I did a service on the car about a week before the problem started. THe mechanic changed the oil and checked everything.

Yes it does make a loud click sound whenever it changes gear. It also jerks forward but from this forum i gather this is normal?

My car has 90,000km on it.

I spoke to my mechanic. Its the actuator. The Alfa Romeo dealer has one in stock for $3.5k.

My mechanic thinks this MIGHT be covered under warranty. But its unfortunately capped at $1.7k

For people from Australia - do you think this might be covered under the dealer's statutory warranty? I only had my car for roughly 4 weeks. My mechanic thinks this is a wear and tear problem so he doubt its covered. The dealer on the otherhand thinks SOME are covered.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

failure , selespeed , system