GT JTS - DIY service experience - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 03-11-08 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT JTS 2.0

GT JTS - DIY service experience

So once I had the service disk from ebay and realised just how simple things looked and how little gets done ( bar the belt change ) I thought I'd tackle my 48K service myself.

I was a little worried from searches on this forum regarding cross threaded sump nuts and air filter woes - but do not be deterred.

The longest part, as per any new car service is the setup, ie the jacks, axle stand positions, then removal of the bottom cover and how that attaches but given the clear service manual it soon came off and I had a solid setup in a pretty small garage.

Once through that the sump nut itself is indeed a hex key, but its very deep sunk and from experience a clean hit with a mallet on the end of the key spares any rounding of edges or leverage issues. The nut is a good 1 inch long so it really needs little effort when tightening also.

Oil filter too is nice and small and easy to get a chain around, plenty of space working bottom up.

Air filter is a bit of pain, but you have to take it out from the bottom. Undo clips, push up the right side of the housing up to release the tabs at the bottom, then just wedge it open with your hand and pull out the old, squeeze in the new and jobs a good'um. All other checks you can do looking up through the bay, any leaks always show as crusty lumps or drissle lines down the pipes.

The only issue I had is with the 3 bolts that hold the under cover on, I think I cross'ed them going back in as they spun before screwing down, but its holding and they are soft enought I'm sure to pull out next time. I must remember to get some more, the rest of the screws are hex again but seem to be much more solid.

In all, one of the easiest I've ever done. I don't think the 48K cost much , 180 (?), but parts cost me 74.

Right now the service computer shows 0 and expecting a dash light soon, so far just a warning every 3 starts. So right now don't even have a problem there, but assume that will change to a beep or something at some point.

Just thought I'd share that. They might be sods to replace a side light, but the main service items are actually pretty easy with only a small nonce of aptitude required - and its done by someone who cares.

There's nothing in the dark that isn't there in the light ..... except fear
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London

Member car:

Hi, sounds like your experience was much more positive than mine! In the absence of an ebay service CD, can you pls share your wisdom in terms of jacking points, axle stand points, tips for removing the bottom cover etc? Photos would be much appreciated....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

diy , experience , jts , service