right,a theory to explain varying oil usage - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
right,a theory to explain varying oil usage

I am not a techy,but having read a bit and consulted a few sites;

Good mineral/semi should be used to run the car in as it does allow for the high spots to be knocked off the bearing surfaces, fully synthetic too early will lead to higher oil consumption as the rings don't bed into the bores as well. If the car was used aggressively during that period though the oil would not understand up to the temperatures that could be seen. A turbo is the culprit here, lower quality grades of oil carburise in the tubine housing leading to reduced oil film strength, debris particles in the oil and premature wear/failure, analysis of such oils even after a short period of use would show clear evidence of degradation.

Right,that was nicked from Scoobynet! So "my" theory is;

If you drove the car hard after puchase during the "running in" period you MAY use a lot of oil.I did.

If you changed the semi to fully synth relatively quickly,you MAY use a lot of oil.I did again,I went on a track day after only 3000 miles.

er,thats it! I am am suggesting that the TS runs quite hot,and as such would benefit from the best oil that you can buy,such as a motorsport fully synth 10w60,and the varying degrees as to how to ran the car in and how quickly you upgraded to fs,if you did,can cause such a wide useage span in this bbs.

doubt that adds much to the debate

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

explain , oil , theory , usage , varying