Buying a used 156 - reliability ??? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Buying a used 156 - reliability ???

I'm going for a 2,0 TS 156 with about 100.000 km on the clock.

I would like to know if I can anticipate any negative surprises, or if I simply should avoid buying a used Alfa ???

Sponsored Links
Martin Livingstone
Hi there

I've had a 156 2.5 V6 24v for over 3 years now and it has done 61,000 miles.(100,000 km?) The only problem I have had was when the starter motor started to "chirrup" like a bird, but still worked. I had it replaced under warranty as a precaution.

That's it - never let me down at all, very reliable, lovely to drive etc.etc.

AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

I've had my car for 2.5 years and had no real problems and done 25,000 miles - lots of town driving aswell.
It's the best car I've ever bought and the most reliable (Others were Vauxhall).
Other people have not been as lucky with their Alfas
Used Alfa's are always better than new ones as most of them have had the problems "ironed out". Check the timing belt has been changed though
I've had my alfa 2.5 V6 (1999) for four months (Main dealer)....the starter motor chirupped and got it replaced under warranty....other than that all I've had to do is replace the fuel every other day......6500 miles in 3 1/2 months!!!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 1.6lt

Seems like a used 156 is more reliable than a new 147 frown
Steffen>> If you look at the statistics, the 156 probably won't do that great.. But on the other hand it's not a certain thing that it will let you down. If the engine etc. has been serviced and has used the right oil, it should last for ages, but other components are morte fragile.. If you want some more information, then buy the "Brugt BilRevyen";-) It's available in many supermarkets, etc. - and if I'll remember it right, they've got a 156 review..

Best danish regards,

AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Il stick up for ALFA's,

My 156 has done 44000 Miles now from new, with only the following problems.

1.Noisy Tyres when worn (Michelins). I and the dealer mistook this for a wheel Bearing and changed it!!. But there was nothing really wrong.
2. Worn Bushes in the rear suspension replaced at my cost. (Cost 142.00, to me not covered under Warranty)
3. Cam belt tensioner 'appeared' to be failing, repaired under Warranty, this also included changing the Cam Belts for FREE!!. this last kind act compensated for the inconveniance.
4. Oil leak form the Oil Filter shortly after a service. This was found to be a faulty filter fitted by the dealer.
5. Various annoying rattles now and again from the interior.

I still love the Car and will almost certainly by another.
Go for IT!!
AO Member
i bought my v6 99 used with 42 k on its clock beauty to drive anywhere and anyhow no problems till now changed oil and filter at 60 need to change my main belt for around 800$ ugh changed my front brake pads 2 weeks ago still making bycicle sqeuky though i took it like 3 times to the dealer...he said that next pad change need to change my discs bla bla...could ve said that from beginning....
ah one question guys the red light for the pads didnt light however the handbrake light kept on flashing while i drive and when i asked they told me that the red light of the pads under the speed clock not rpm lights when the pads are completely gone and start damaging the discs what do u think i should do now the noises are still haaunting me
other than that go for it ull be saving like half the price on an exxcellent beauty...

--------------------------------------------------------Alfa 156 V6 2.5 24v
Cosmos Blue - Tan Momo - Poweflex Polyurethane Bushes - GTA teledial 17' rims - Black Brembo Brakes - Sparco Air Filter - Lester Sideskirts
[ Future Mods : Zender Sideskirts - Eibach Susp. Kit ]

HENRY FORD "Every time I see an ALFA ROMEO go by, I tip my hat."
Crag Graham
Well, we've had our 156SW 2.0TS for around 7 months now - here's the list of faults so far...

These two were there when we went to pick up the car - we rejected the car and insisted they were rectified before we'd take delivery:
Bonnet dented on delivery (replaced).
Centre console torn on delivery (replaced).

The rest of these have happened in the time since April:

Handbrake button sticking (in the in position, so you couldn't put the handbrake on).
Gearbox (manual) stuck in 4th gear (fixed under warrenty).
Alarm started going off at random.
Ventilation stopped working (some flap in the system stuck, fixed under warrenty).
Dash rattle (occured after the dealer fixed the ventilation). Not fixed )yet).
Gearbox failled again (fixed under warrenty).
Stereo surround dropped off.
Seat back adjust for drivers side fell off.

Ho hum. The gearbox issue has been the bigee, the rest are just annoying.
I bought my 92 33 Boxer 16V QV in August 99 with 54k miles ( about 87k km)on the clock.
I drove the car until January 2002 when the gearbox gave up. AGH!! Up to that I had to replace plug leads and brake discs apart from the usual servicing. Even now the car is awaiting a worthy owner and she starts with ease ( subject to battery condition ). I recently bought a 91 car same model she has 131k (211k km) and she runs like a dream except for the rusty boot floor.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , buying , reliability