Just wanted some advise bout my costly MOT failure and the best way of going about it.
Basically, the garage told me that it needed the new catalytic converter at the front (made up of two cats) as well as suspension arms. He initially quoted me £6/700!!
Well I obviously said I need to look at it so just paid for MOT only to find a list of 7 fails along with 4 advisories.
Here they are:
1) nearside headlamp aim too low
2) offside headlamp aim too low
3) nearside front antiroll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint
4) nearside front upper suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush
5) nearside rear lower suspension arm has excessive play in a pin/bush
6) front (flexy joint) exhaust has a major leak of exhaust gases
7) centre exhaust has a mounting that it does not fully support the exhaust system.
My opinion is that the suspension does need sorting as there was a bit of a squeaky squelchy noise on cold mornings but the exhaust doesnt actually sound bad. Also, why is there no mention of a cat on the failure notice?
Done abit of reading regarding the cat and maybe i could get a sports cat or aftermarket cat or exhaust system which would be cheaper/same but better performance?
By the way, 2nd time i asked him how much it would be he then sed about £450/£500!
**one of the advisory items says 'aux drive belt perishing'. Is this much to get sorted?
Any help will be appreciated and sorry if i seem to asking obvious simple questions - i'm just wanting the best 'route' to take.
Cheers in advance!