156JTS: Must I use Selenia? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 13-11-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
156JTS: Must I use Selenia?

The Alfa 156 manual says you should always use Selenia.
Is this just Alfa's way of getting you to buy expensive oil only from their dealers or is there a genuine technical reason?
On my previous 156 I always used Castrol GTX which seemed fine.
Sponsored Links
Well, the manual does not say that Selenia is a must. The brand is recommended, that's it.

The link to the manual page:

AO Platinum Member
What you have to do is look in your manual (I don't have one for the Twin-Spark/JTS).

As Eugenia's link shows, the recommended oil is a 10W40 for all motoring except in very cold climates (-20C, when they recommend 5W30) but the key thing is to look at the recommended API rating of 10W40.

It will say, somewhere, something like S/F, S/G or S/I etc. The oil you buy will have this grade printed somewhere on the side of the pack.

For instance, my 155V6 needs 10W40 S/G or above.

ANY oil (just about) is going to meet or exceed this grade (S/G is actually quite basic by modern oil standards).

I think Selenia semi-synthetic is about S/J from memory, so it is several grades better than the minimum spec' that my engine wants. Before that, I used Shell Helix semi-synth and that was the same.

I don't know what Castrol variety you used but I think even the regular GTX now comes in a semi-synthetic variety, so it would probably have been S/J or better too.

Anyway, that S/G applies to the V6. I stress, I don't know if the (J)TS needs a higher grade than that but you can see that most semi-synthetics would seem to comfortably meet or exceed this.

So, any 10W40 with the API rating which meets or exceeds the grade your engine wants will do the job.

As for price, I find the 5ltr can of Selenia is competetively priced with other similar products -it's actually cheaper than the 4ltr can of Shell Helix semi you can buy from Shell garages, for example.

Whatever you do, don't use a thinner or thicker oil than is recommended as these are likely to knack your engine. Just keep the level topped up and change it often. Then, just about any 10W40 will do the job.

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.2 SW

The manual says to ALLWAYS use SAE 10W 60 on the JTS-enginge. This differs from all the other engines, and the JTS is the only engine to be specified only one single kind of oil regardless the weather conditions etc.

As I allso have the JTS, and winter is creeping upon us, I'd be interested to know if anyone could confirm that the 10W 60 should be a fitting winter-oil...

(After specifying 10W 60, the manual recomends Selenia Racing, so if you want alternatives, any 10W 60 should do.)

BTW: In Norway, where everything including oil, is prohibitively expensive, we have found a tractor/machinery shop that sells Selenia Racing for about 1/3 of the oficial dealer price - might be possible elsewhere to...

EX 156: Currently in a 159 2.2 SW
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Managed to get some Selenia 20k today for my 147. 11.75 for 2 litres, so I quite suprised that it was half the cost of Mobil 1 or the like and from the dealer!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156jts , selenia