To ASR or Not, that is the Question. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 11-11-02 Thread Starter
AO Member
To ASR or Not, that is the Question.

(147, 1.6, manual) I'm sure I've read about this phenomenon somewhere. I was approaching a junction relatively quickly, thinking I would brake at the last possible chance (i've only had her a week you see, we're still on honeymoon).

Anyway, a poorly finished manhole appeared and one wheel hit it, I tried to apply the brakes and they were not engaging. It was pretty hairy thereafter but I did manage to stop. I think you have to come off the brakes then hit them hard again. I think that bumps on the road affect your brakes (ASR). Anyone else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Yes, and this is 'normal' behaviour...

What happens is this: because of the bumps the car becomes slightly unstable. The tires have grip at the top of the bump, and no grip at all when going to the next bump. When you brake, the ABS sensors sense that when it would brake fully, the tyres would not turn anymore. Thus, the ABS system releases the brakes again. Not what you'd want though...

Not sure whether this is technically correct, but this ABS-panic as I call it, is what I experienced. At least I know when I can expect this, so I can anticipate.

p.s. ASR and ABS are two different systems, although the use the same sensors.
(ASR=Anti Spin Regulation, preventing the wheels from spinning when accelerating very fast. ABS prevents the tyres from locking up when braking thus letting you be able to steer when braking fully)
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 11-11-02 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you. Well explained and clear. I did think that ASR might not be responsible but I did not think it through.

Like you say, once you know about it, it ceases to be a "problem" because you can anticipate.

I'm really enjoying the car and not least all the help and support from this site.
Last weekend was driving girlfriend 147jtd and similar thing happened:
Was behind a group of cars on a dual carrage way which had no center barrier the an idiot tried to turn left (which he could not seeing as we drive on the right-hand side of the road here) over a double solid white line, well everybody was not expecting this so we all had to apply on the brake hard and although safty distance was there (though maybe a bit more would of been thoughtful) the car just didn't seem want to stop... I had to eventul change lane to avoid smahing the beutiful face of the 147.... A bit scary!!!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

asr , question